outside socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i plan to fit an outside socket. i'm going to do this by taking a spur from an exsiting socket which is in the ring main, its is not a spur and does not currently supply a spur so it would be suitable for the job. my consumer unit is 1 year old and has rcd protection and the outdoor socket i have is ip66 rated and also has built in rcd protection. i plan to back to back the internal and external sockets and use the back knock out on the external socket so i would not be running any cable along the walls just straight into the back of the box. the question i wanted answered is can i run a cable from the internal socket to an internal switch and then go back to back from the switch, the switch would then let me control when the external socket gets power, i.e. when the external socket is not in use i can turn it off inside. is this a good idea or is it even worth doing this

Sponsored Links
forgot to say i live in scotland so not too sure about building regs, but i'm not too bothered by this anyway as if it became an issue if i ever sold the house i would just take the socket out and put everything back to the way it was

Install a double pole isolator or fused connection unit next to the internal socket, take a feed from the internal socket to supply side of isolator/FCU, then go from the load side of isolator/FCU directly outwards to external socket. Then you have your internal double pole isolation for external socket, without too much extra work.
The external socket would not require integral RCD protection as this is already offered on circuit.

an fcu is the thing is was looking for. i already have the rcd external socket so i will fit that anyway, which should give me plenty of protection there with 2 rcds and the fcu. thats answered the question, i knew what i wanted to do i was nt sure if i could do it the way i wanted to, thanks

Sponsored Links
Make sure you seal the hole where your cable enters the outside socket with silicone or similar, and drill a drain hole approx 5mm dia. in the bottom of the socket at the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back