Outside steps repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 100yr old victorian house with 7 steps to the front door. There is a slab at the top. There are several problems:
1)Slab at the top is worn so keeps a puddle of water on it when wet (great in winter when it freezes). Previous owner cut out a drainage channel with an angle grinder to drain it - it looks awful.
2) 3 of the stone steps have been replaced with cast concrete which are flaking, exposing rebar.
3) The cast-iron handrail supports are broken/missing.

I want to repair it, but dont really know where to start. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Mark

Sponsored Links
i can't comment on repairing the existing without seeing their current state but this is how i would build them from scratch:

build a pair of 9" retaining walls 950mm apart. i would build them high enough to act as a solid baluster or bannister, sloping or staggering the brickwork to suit the slope.

i would then form the steps between these walls using brick wall risers and a solid blue staffy brick-on-edge tread.

the top platform could be paved with some simple concrete flags or slabs.

you could still build the side walls up if you wish in order to do away with the iron railings. you would just need to chop the steps back to allow you to lay onto the existing brickwork.

you could also clad the existing steps leaving the structure intact. it would mean an extra step at the bottom and the top step would be higher.

Sponsored Links
Its not clear if the step riser is built off the preceding concrete step.

If they are, then you will have to cut the step out with a disk saw. If they are not, then just lift the step slab and replace. Trying to fill/patch the surface of steps never lasts very long, and looks well ... patchy

The railings will have to have new balustrades welded in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back