Outside tap - rising main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to fit an outside tap to the wall on the other side of our downstairs bathroom.

The DIY book I have says the branch should come from the rising main - what is this?

Can I not simply take it from the pipe that goes to the cold tap on the bath?

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
your diy book is talking about in a kitchen.

you must buy a double check valve , place that on the inside of the house on a branch from any cold pipe you like. Also incorporate a service valve so you can isolate the outside tap in freezing weather.

Drill through the wall, ideally get a collar with pipe on one side and female 1/2 in thread on other side, wrap pipe in protection and push it through your whole drill rawl plug and screw the three mounting holes on the collare from outside onto wall. Wrap ptfe round a bib tap, turn it into the collar stop when it is orientated correctly, but tight enough. Adjust ptfe technique to correcdt any failings.

Attach inside of this pipe through your service valve, double check valve to your water supply. Seal hole around pipe.

If using hose you are supposed to use one with an automatic shut off end, so no water wasted when you put it down, kind of like a dead man's handle.

bath may be supplied form tank in loft, you do need to take it from main pipe, also your book is old, needs a double check valve to comply with latest water regs

Sponsored Links
Cheers all,

Yep - the book does mention the double check valve as well and a stop cock, etc.

We don't have a water tank so I'm guessing that's ok.

Looks like it's all go for a little project next weekend!

Cheers

Simon

If you did have a loft tank then you could use it to provide the supply for the hoze.

Trouble though is that it will have very little pressure and you would get no pressurised jet of water.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back