Outside taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently fitted 5 outside taps.The Screwfix kit is idiot proof.The beauty of the kit is the self cutting internal stop cock.
Best wishes
Jim Whittaker
AKA "The Friendly Plumber"

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Sounds like you got a bit carried away to me. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

No I advertise to fit outside taps complete with an internal stop cock for £50 .00 ,quite a good earner.
Best wishes
Jim Whittaker
AKA The Friendly Plumber

nstreet said:
Sounds like you got a bit carried away to me.

I too am happy with just the one in my garden. :LOL:

Seriously, I have found the self cutters do not give as much pressure than fitting it via a tee.
I had to change one recently for a neighbour as the self cutter only cuts out a small hole to supply the tap. :(

Sponsored Links
The Screwfix kit is idiot proof

Maybe but I have come across quite a few where the bit of pipe thats cut out to make the hole comes away cos the steel cutting bits rusts through gets stuck in the tap and badly reduces the flow or drops down to a tee piece runs along the pipe and causes havoc elsewhere.
Fit em if u like! but I dont cos to me they are not proper plumbing.

Slugbabydotcom said:
The Screwfix kit is idiot proof

Maybe but I have come across quite a few where the bit of pipe thats cut out to make the hole comes away cos the steel cutting bits rusts through gets stuck in the tap and badly reduces the flow or drops down to a tee piece runs along the pipe and causes havoc elsewhere.
Fit em if u like! but I dont cos to me they are not proper plumbing.

In an out in 20 min for £50.00 is a good earner.Had no problem with flow or the cutter rusting.Maybe the ones I use have been inproved.
Best wishes
Jim
AKA "The Friendly Plumber"

jimdoodson said:
No I advertise to fit outside taps complete with an internal stop cock for £50 .00 ,quite a good earner.
Does that include non-return valve and insulation?

rofl5.gif

If I was a more cynical man I would say that somebody has paid you to "big-up" screwfix tap kits. I see no problem or issue to solve in your post. Come on, own up you are working for Screwfix and you are a dirty forum lurker ;)

jimdoodson said:
Had no problem with flow or the cutter rusting. Maybe the ones I use have been inproved.
... or maybe as you've only used them recently the problems haven't happened yet. Personally if I was employing a plumber for this kind of job I'd expect to see the job done right, not just a DIY bodge.

Ah, you have been lured in and shown a link to the product, watch as Screwfix turnover jumps as everybody buys a DIY tap kit ;)

If you are a plumber, how difficult it is to fit a tee! I could do it and would do it in preference to this tat and I am not a professional plumber, just a keen amateur, no bodges here. :D

Thanks Jim,

I think 10mm plastic pipe is a smart idea, drilling a 38mm diameter hole to sleeve and insulate 15mm copper pipe, then running water-proof insulation to the tap as the regs would have you do is a non starter in my humble opinion, especially with new (especially timber frame) houses and their damp-proof membranes in the walls.

I usually drill 22mm hole, sleeved 15 copper pipe, DCV, stop-tap and drain off inside the house. The problem id the customer has to drain down before winter.

Its a pity the combined isolation tap and DCV can't be T'd in as I too dislike the thought of the little copper disc causing havoc somewhere in the plumbing, I've also seen loads of the old chrome washing machine ones rusted up.

Has anyone ever come across a combined stop valve, DCV and drain off ?

I can't believe that any plumber would fit this rubbish. I couldn't recount the number of times I've had to go to customers houses to replace self cutting taps due to faults with the check valve.

Any plumber worth his salt should do the job properly using good quality parts and not DIY kits.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back