outside w.c.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outside loo, probably the same age as the 200-year-old core of the house - brick built and concrete floored. On two sides the ground outside the walls is higher than the loo floor. The brick on the inside of those walls is degraded and porous and when it rains the water leaches through the lower parts of the walls and the floor gets wet (and, I guess, the brick further degrades.

It's handy having the loo out there when I am in the garden or workshop, so I want it to remain in commission. On the other hand, it would not be worth spending a huge amount of money or time on it. On one of the outside walls I could drop the level of the ground if I had to, but on the other I can't as it is my neighbour's.

Any advice and suggestions would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
Hows the roof? Any water getting into the walls from above?
Is it a party wall or all yours? How thick is the wall?

Yes try to get the ground levels down, and if you can render/re-render/repoint then so much the better.

You could try to add a strip of dpc to the face of the wall, extending below ground. That might hold back the water a bit when it rains.
Or could you replace the damaged bricks one at a time.

Do what you can to stop the water coming in, then do something cheap and cheerful on the inside to hide it.

Thanks Regsmyth. Very helpful. The roof is fine. The worst affected wall, where most, perhaps all, the water is entering is mine, accessible from the outside and is 10" thick. A bit of digging along the wall, then pointing/re-rendering looks like the way to go - I can't see myself chopping out and replacing bricks one at a time. I should no doubt spray on some sort of stabiliser first? Cheap and cheerful sounds like that quarter can of masonry paint I've got on the shelf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back