Oval cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I'm looking for a replacement oval cylinder lock. It's for an aluminium door and the overall depth of the handles and door is only 44mm. This makes me think that the correct length replacement cylinder would be around 50mm. At the moment, the cylinder that is fitted is 80mm which means there is approx. 18mm protruding either side of the handle. This has made the actual cylinder become a little loose, as there is obviously more leverage when putting the key in and out, and I would assume means it is more prone to lock snapping or bumping?? :confused:

I can only find 60, 70 and 80mm cylinders so my questions are:

Can you get an oval cylinder that is only 50mm (25/25) long, or would I need to use a 60mm one?

Is a 60mm cylinder easy to snap if it is protruding 7-8mm on the outside of the handle?

Cheers
mrH :)

Sponsored Links
Have a look on ebay for cylinders lots of choice and some good prices.
You may well struggle to find a 50mm so you may have to go 60mm.

Anything that protrudes from the handles more than 3mm would be easy to break so have a search for anti snap locks.

Yeah, it does seem as though I'll have to go with the 60mm lock. I've looked everywhere I can think of for a shorter one but can't find one - maybe they are not even made that size. :confused:

The oval cylinders I've seen don't seem to state that they are anti-snap - only the euro cylinders do - so I guess I'll just have to go with what's available.

Cheers
mrH :)

Here is an oval anti snap
http://www.intolocks.co.uk/cylinder.../anti-snap-oval-double-cylinder-70mm-35x35-np

Not the right size it was just one of the 1st results when I googled it.
Is your current lock a half and half? eg. is the cam in the dead center?
If so this would be referred to as a 25/25 or a 20/10/20.

It wouldn't matter how much the lock stuck out on the inside so you could look for a lock with the correct external measurement but any old length overall.

Sponsored Links
Hi Gazman

The cam is dead centre so I have ordered a 60mm 30/30 cylinder. It's not for me, and the door itself isn't exactly likely to hold back even a semi-determined burglar, so it will have to do! :eek:

Thanks for the advice.

mrH :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back