Oven and induction hob - breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my double oven and gas hob. I plan to replace it with a new Bosch double oven and a Bosch induction hob.

My oven currently has it's own switch (with a socket) and 32a breaker in the consumer unit. Can both oven and induction hob run off this?

I cannot find any information about how much power these things use. The Bosch website is pretty limited in info.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I plan to replace it with a new Bosch double oven and a Bosch induction hob. ... My oven currently has it's own switch (with a socket) and 32a breaker in the consumer unit. Can both oven and induction hob run off this?
Quite probably, but we need to know how much power your new oven and hob require - can you tell us the model numbers of the items you plan to install?

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2";p="3188466 said:
Quite probably, but we need to know how much power your new oven and hob require - can you tell us the model numbers of the items you plan to install?

Many thanks for the reply John. I'm looking to install:

Bosch HBM13B261B oven
Bosch PIA611B68B induction hob

Hob Electrical connection rating (W) 2,990 W that's really small mine has 3700 W for just one ring.
Oven Energy Consumption (Main Cavity) 0.79 Kwh Electrical Connection 4.4 KW

This give a total of 35A so a 32A supply will be fine.

I will admit I never use boost on my hob so likely the one you are looking at is big enough but it has silly touch control and I found touch controls slow to operate meaning one still has to lift pan rather than turn off as the human machine interface is so poor. I also found my mother in wheel chair could not read the controls only designed to be seen from above viewed at child hight all is invisible.

Sponsored Links
Well - since JW2 asked for the model numbers, rather than the size of the loads, we can wait while he does the donkey work of looking up that info :mrgreen:

I found touch controls slow to operate meaning one still has to lift pan rather than turn off
Would you have to anyway with that hob? Is it another one designed by an idiot who never cooks and has placed the controls where a commonly large sized pan will cover them?

Thanks for the replies guys!

So, the kitchen remodelling starts soon. I just need to make sure nothing extra needs to be wired in to account for the induction hob, but it sounds like it'll be ok to simply add the hob to the existing cooker supply, based on combined loads of the two appliances

Would you have to anyway with that hob? Is it another one designed by an idiot who never cooks and has placed the controls where a commonly large sized pan will cover them?
Not quite:

screenshot_152.jpg

You might have problems if you need to move pans off-centre to get others to fit, but pleasingly it does look as if Bosch have managed to find one of the few sensible kitchen appliance designers out there.

Well - since JW2 asked for the model numbers, rather than the size of the loads, we can wait while he does the donkey work of looking up that info :mrgreen:
What a pointless post!!

There was no point in asking for the size of the loads, since the OP had already said that he had been unable to find them - hence my asking for the model numbers. Had no-one else done it, I would indeed have done the "donkey work", but by the time I saw the model numbers, eric had already done it.

Kind Regards, John

Hob Electrical connection rating (W) 2,990 W that's really small mine has 3700 W for just one ring.
It is extraordinarily little. The elements of the four 'rings' are 1.8, 1.8, 1.4 and 1.4 kW, hence totalling 6.4 kW. One assumes that there must be some built in control systems to limit the maximum demand at any point in time to 2.99 kW, presumably done so that they can (and do) supply it with a fitted 13A plug.

Kind Regards, John

The maximum connected load of my induction hob is 11.8kW - it's possible to use three of the five 'rings' in boost mode simultaneously. Just one of my larger 'rings' is 3.6kW alone

That particular Bosch product certainly appears to have been engineered deliberately so that it can be used where only a 13A supply is available.

I've just done random checks on a few other models, and they mostly in the 7 ish kW range.

OP, are you sure you want that model? I'd look at some of the other units in the range.

I don't have my heart set on this particular one. However, the price was good and the reviews on various sites were also very good.

I've read that if more than two of the rings are in use it cycles the energy.

Obviously with it simply being on a fused 13a plug it'll be very simple to install. Let's say I go for the next model up, the PIE611B17E, that has a rating of 7,200w. How would that be installed? In the same supply as the cooker on the 32a breaker?

I don't have my heart set on this particular one. However, the price was good and the reviews on various sites were also very good. I've read that if more than two of the rings are in use it cycles the energy.
Indeed. In fact, even if you had just the two larger (1.8 kW) rings on, there would have to be some 'cycling', since 3.6W is beyond the rating of a 13A plug.
Obviously with it simply being on a fused 13a plug it'll be very simple to install. Let's say I go for the next model up, the PIE611B17E, that has a rating of 7,200w. How would that be installed? In the same supply as the cooker on the 32a breaker?
Sure (assuming that the installed cable is also adequate for 32A). In fact, by application of the concept of 'diversity' (a calculation which takes into account the fact that not all elements in a cooking set up will be drawing power simultaneously) a 32A supply is actually good enough for a total cooking load up to about 19,000 watts.

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks John.

The building I live in wasn't originally a domestically dwelling. It was gutted and converted in 1999, so that is the age of the wiring, consumer unit and all within. I therefore assume the cooker cabling is adequate, but it's worth checking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back