Oven Cable, Run it on the outside of the house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to feed an oven cable from the consumer unit, sadly I have not made provisions before hand. when I had the floor up downstairs.

The cooker and Hob in 2 different locations in the kitchen

Now My options are.....

There is currently a 6mm2 Cable running from the Consumer unit to the kitchen,
A) Its not long enough, can i extended it by attaching a junction box?
B) If I can do A can I run it to the oven and then the Hob (induction) both appliances will have its own switch.
C) If not A and B can I run 2 cables outside the house and round to the kitchen? And if I can what rules should I use?

Sponsored Links
The question is "Can I" and that I can't answer as I have no idea as to your ability or what tools you have and in the main people who DIY do not have the test gear to do electrical work and comply with regulations.

It is likely that an electrician could use any of the methods you have outlined and he would first look at two things.

Rating of the appliance.
Suitability of existing supply.

This would include measuring the loop impedance etc.

Then he would look at logistics and if he could move the existing supply easier then fitting a new one plus the spare ways available.

This would include things like providing RCD protection to any new cables buried at less than 50 mm in any wall.

With my mothers kitchen the electricians decided the existing system was a problem with no RCD protection and also rubber cable and to alter the existing would also require some up-grading so a SWA cable feeding a mini consumer unit in the kitchen was best method.

The major problem with houses is there is often no plans and electricians have to guess at what is not visible so have to do a risk assessment maybe not on paper but still they assess the risk. This is a hands on thing and can't really be done on a forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back