oven & hob on the same circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Can anyone give me guidance on the following?
I have just brought a electric hob of 30amps & an electric oven of 20amps. my existing wiring is a 10mm twin and earth with a 45 amp bs 60898 mcb. can the new appliances both connect to the same supply even the total load is over 50 amps?

Sponsored Links
but it could be a possibility that all rings and oven are on at the same time? Is it cutting it a bit fine on a 50amp & with a 45amp cooker switch? What doyou think the men with the white coats of the N.I.C.E.I.C will think?

50Amps isn't much more than 45, and at such a slight overload the MCB will not trip quickly. As soon as any of the rings or oven come up to temp they will start to cycle on and off, so the load will drop below rated current. It will be very hard for you to trip the MCB with that set-up; verging on the impossible.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the guidance, just got part P all this domestic stuff is new. All work has to be to the book for certification.

Just curious....how are you connecting both appliances?...2x10mm in a cooker isolation switch terminal is.....tight

Us office sparks dont get out much...(field research)

redmile said:
thanks for the guidance, just got part P all this domestic stuff is new. All work has to be to the book for certification.

That's good... if you've got the books, look up Diversity: Cooking Appliances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back