ovens!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a belling oven and it has started to cut out...it comes on for a couple of minutes then cuts out electrics.I have replaced element but its still the same :( the grill still works fine but when i put the oven on after about 3-5 minutes its cuts out.
please help me!!!!otherwise its a fry up on christmas :)

Sponsored Links
Only a wild guess but I would think the thermostat, that controls the oven temperature, has gone AWOL here.
John :)

It could have a thermal cut out (if it has a digital timer)
or
The element is going open circuit, when it heats.

I am guessing you mean the RCD is tripping after a few minutes. Most elements are hygroscopic that is they attract water into the mineral insulation. Because of the heat one can't get a perfect seal but normally not enough water gets in to cause it to trip between times it is used and every time it is switched on it drives the water out again.

If it has been left for an extended time then it may only need drying. If however you use it weekly then likely the outer sheaf has burst and it is now taking in even more water as a result.

As to if it needs a dry out or new element one can only find out once stripped down and normally one worth taking the chance so change the element anyway.

If however it has been standing for a long time then may be worth drying out first. The common method is dangerous and sorry I will not say on here how it is normally done.

Sponsored Links
To help identify if it is the element or the control side of things you will need to disconnect one of the wires to the element, preferably the live & insulate it. Then switch on & leave for half an hour. If it is still ok after that time it would point to your new element being faulty, if it still trips you need to check the rest of the circuitry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back