Over Heating and Fan problem Nissan Vanette.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just noticed that a van I run has started over heating.
Yesterday the dash board temperature gauge was nearing the shaded red area.
Noticed the internal fan was not given heat to the cab also.
One stopping the water reservoir used for filling the cooling system had steam coming from it and a kettle sound could be heard.
I have also noticed liquid residue on the area below the engine where the van was parked.

I am going to refill the reservoir, with coolant and water mixture and see what occurs, as it seems the reservoir is now empty.

I have noticed no smells or the temperature rise until yesterday, I have noticed the the heating fan not functioning over the last couple of days and the residue beneath the van a few days ago, but just thought it was from the whether rather than van as did not seem oily.
When turning the engine of, I can hear a something turning/ rotating within the engine area, slowly coming to a stop. Sounds like the fan stopping. But I am not a vehicle person so excuse my ignorance.
The van is not in constant use, but does get used.
Van details
Nissan Vannette, 2001, 2.3 diesel. If that helps.

Any input to the reason behind overheating, cab fan failure (does blow out cold air but not warm air).
Residue beneath engine would be appreciated.
And if it is simple fix or a visit to garage?

Sponsored Links
Obviously the van has lost some coolant for some reason....holed radiator or a perished hose are the first suspicions.
Once the coolant drops the heater goes off -- on any vehicle - as there isn't enough coolant to circulate.
So - top the coolant up (water will do for now) and see where the water is dripping from.
The noise would have been a cooling fan idling down, probably.
John :)

IIRC that was fitted with an Isuzu engine which was known for cylinder head troubles. Maybe see if you can get a pressure test done.

After a little investigation, steam/kettling noise was coming from the expansion reservoir.
Filled up the coolant reservoir, heater back on and temperature gauge down to around mid-position, difficult to see where the leak is at the moment, but have a good look tomorrow, hopefully not done any serious damage with the coolant running dry!

Sponsored Links
Fingers crossed - running the engine up to temperature will increase the pressure in the system which should promote the leak.
Don't let the system ever run dry or the head gasket will fail promptly!

Hopefully it didn't run try and I spotted it in time, I normally keep up with the generally stuff, such as water, oils/lubricants for engine, clutch, break and gears and keep my eye on the gauges and warning lights. So hopefully caught it early enough not to have any serious consequences, if I cannot find and repair the leak myself, a visit to my local garage on Monday.

Just a tip if you think things are overheating......turn the heater to hot and run the fan on full - but keep an eye on the coolant level too!

Back