Over-pessimistic/conservative IP rating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife recently bought a small cordless garden tool, of a very 'reputable' make ('Western', although inevitably manufactured in China).

For charging, it came with a small wallwart, as pictured below - which, as can be seen, it claims to be "IP40". It is in a totally 'sealed' plastic enclosure and, although I obviously can't see and be sure, I suspect that even where the cable enters is probably fairly well 'sealed'.

Given it's construction, I would think that even the "4" is pretty conservative, and I might have expected it to be at least "5". However, the "0" ("NO protection" against water ingress) seems quite ridiculous. In fact, I find it fairly hard to see that anything IPx0 could ever be remotely 'safe'.

From looking at it, I would probably expect it to be at least IP44, quite possibly 'better' (in terms of either/both 'numbers'.

Any thoughts?

upload_2021-6-30_14-7-42.png

upload_2021-6-30_14-8-4.png

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So can the water get to the metal pins when mated with a socket?

So can the water get to the metal pins when mated with a socket?
I would doubt it, wouldn't you?

To be, say, IP41 would only require that it were "Protected against vertically falling drops of water e.g. condensation", and I would think it would qualify as at least that, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

I would doubt it, wouldn't you?

To be, say, IP41 would only require that it were "Protected against vertically falling drops of water e.g. condensation", and I would think it would qualify as at least that, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John
Maybe, but it is outside the control of the manufacturer. One could use a couple of croc clips and it would work.

Yes I am taking it to extremes, for that read silly, but it's only to demontrate the lack of control and before anyone comments... yes I know IP4x would also be wrong in the situation I've put forward.

Sponsored Links
Maybe, but it is outside the control of the manufacturer. One could use a couple of croc clips and it would work. .... Yes I am taking it to extremes, for that read silly, but it's only to demontrate the lack of control and before anyone comments... yes I know IP4x would also be wrong in the situation I've put forward.
To echo you, "maybe".

However, the second figure of an IP rating relates to water ingress - and that surely means 'water getting into something', rather than coming into contact with obviously 'external' parts of the item (like the pins), doesn't it?

In any event, as you say, your argument would apply as much to 'mechanical protection' as to water ingress, in which case that wallwart would have to be described as IP00 - which would be even more silly!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back