Over-spec'ed system I think, is it a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a new boiler fitted, a Worcester Bosch 30CDi which the engineer obviously told me was the right size for my property.
Since having the new boiler fitted, I've looked more closely at my CH and I'm now wondering if the boiler is too big. The money difference between a bigger and a smaller boiler aside, will a (too) large boiler be less efficient (i.e. it won't be condensing) as it may not be able to get rid of enough heat? I know my boiler can modulate its heat output, but there is still a minimum heat output.

I guess some more detail may be relevant. The house has 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (although we only ever shower in one of them). Using Worcester Bosch' very simplistic "what boiler do you need" wizard says that I need the 30CDi for 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I have now measured every radiator in the house, and using Stelrad's catalogue for finding the heat output. Using the values at 50 delta t (is that the value I should be using? It is the one that has the highest heat output) I find that my radiators can have a total heat output of 15617 watts, half of the potential output of the boiler I now have fitted.

Sponsored Links
The boiler has been sized for the hot water demand.

The heating can be rated down to suit the load by adjusting the parameters, the installer should have done all the necessary during the commissioning.

Good controls would also be beneficial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back