overclocked processors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i recently purchased a gaming pc, which has duo processors. they are both 2.4 ghz, and have been overclocked in the factory to 3.0 ghz. when ive put up the device manager to show the spec of the pc it shows themn as 2.4 ghz. should it not show it as 3.0 ghz? I know its a daft question (and yes im daft when it comes to pcs) but i recently tried to install a 3.0 ghz game on the pc and its told me i dont have the hardware to support it......im confused!!!

Sponsored Links
I have never known any game that will not install due to the speed of the main processor/processors..... :confused:

Which game is it, and what memory and graphics card do you have installed?

ive been told its crap anyway, but hey ho! its beowulf. the spec is 3.0ghz for the processor. it installs then comes up with a check list of all the hardware specs. everything gets a tick except the processor speed, hence my question about the overclocked speed.

Have you contacted the supplier of the pc?
Have you tried running the game - does it work ok?
You can easily overclock most CPUs - Google how to do it. It's straight forward but do it in small increments until it starts to become unstable, then back it off a bit.

Sponsored Links
gcol i have sent them an e-mail today. the point is its sold as being overclocked on the pc spec, but i dont see how im able to check that it is, and no the game doesnt work

It's likely that the installer is identifying the processor from its internal id, rather than the speed it's been ramped up to.

I may be wrong but my understanding is that device manager merely reads the CPU identifier burnt into the chip - if manufactured as a 2.4GHz this is what will be displayed, regardless of overclocking. The later is done by "tweaking" clock speeds and possibly voltages in the BIOS, if the motherboard supports this, some motherboard manufacturers supply a utility to do this more conveniently. Increasing clock frequencies/ voltages generate more heat in the CPU so cooling needs careful consideration.

MikeD

I may be wrong but my understanding is that device manager merely reads the CPU identifier burnt into the chip - if manufactured as a 2.4GHz this is what will be displayed, regardless of overclocking.
Mine shows the actual manufactured speed of the CPU and what it's set at. So the CPU is 2.4GHz but overclocked to 2.79GHz.

when ive put up the device manager to show the spec of the pc it shows them as 2.4 ghz. should it not show it as 3.0 ghz?

Same here, my cpu is listed at 1.8Ghz, but under the general tab in system properties (My Computer>rightclick>Properties) it's shown as the correct OC'ed speed of 2.43ghz

As mentioned, use CPU-Z (or core-temp)

I take it you have the E6600?

hmm, the properties tab shows it as 2.40 gig and the cpu id shows it as the same! (if im looking at the right bit. i have however just successfully run a game that has a minimum of 2.80 gig on its spec

hmm, the properties tab shows it as 2.40 gig and the cpu id shows it as the same! (if im looking at the right bit. i have however just successfully run a game that has a minimum of 2.80 gig on its spec

In CPU-Z, ignore the Specification rating and look at clocks (bottom right, CPU tab) What does it say for

Core Speed
Multiplier
Bus Speed
Rated FSB

core speed shows either 2400 or 1200

multiplier is 12.0 or 6.0 dependent on what the core speed shows

bus speed is 200.00

fsb is 800

now whats that all mean in english?? :confused:

now whats that all mean in english?? :confused:

Means you'd better take the machine back and get them to configure it again. Have you made any changes since you bought it?

Is it an Intel or AMD CPU?

Sponsored Links
Back