overgrown garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im renovating a hosue and the garden is too much to handle whilst doing the house.

is there anything I can spray over it to kill everything for now, untill i come back to it in a years time when I will concentrate on thegarden to landscape it.

I was once given this liquid by an old neighbour that i sprayed over thorn bushes which killed them.

I need something of the similar to kill the weeds, plants etc

Thanks

Sponsored Links
a year is a very long time in the garden. You could use sodium chlorate which will poison the soil for anything up to a year but its horrible stuff. youd be better off leaving it and then using a systemic weedkiller a month before you go back.

you could spray it with Glyphosate now, given a couple of weeks that will kill small stuff, then clear it, and either respray at intervals, or water on Pathclear which will prevent seeds germinating for most of the summer.

If you have scrub or bushes, use "SBK" (which will not kill grass) on them.

If you don't mind using a rotary mower once a month to keep it tidy you could use SBK to kill everything except grass. that will also give you somewhere to sit on a warm afternoon when you're tired of DIYing.

I don't think you'll be able to stop anything growing for a year though, unless you use Agent Orange

Sponsored Links
b21playa said:
im renovating a hosue and the garden is too much to handle whilst doing the house.

is there anything I can spray over it to kill everything for now, untill i come back to it in a years time when I will concentrate on thegarden to landscape it.
Thanks

Why kill everything? What's wrong with leaving it wild? It won't come to any harm and you will be providing habitat for birds and small animals, like hedgehogs and frogs.

actually its a "bad call" suppose something does move in, pretty p*sss*ed off being thrown out next year

option 2 cover in a tarpaulin.

kill it all by lack of light and water

yeah good call breezer.

why make a garden look like a garden, when it can be a builders yard.

ship in 6 ton of gravel and you will never need to garden at all.

actualy i have 6 tonne of gravel and it DOES look like a garden

Absolutely no point in killing everything then leaving it for a year - it'll all grow back again. My advice would be to get some black DPC-type plastic sheet and cover the whole area, pinning the edges down with bricks or whatever. When you get round to doing the garden most of what's underneath will be dead. OK, so it'll look like a garden of black plastic - but hey, you asked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back