Overkill, 2 Consumer Units.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New client had a recent kitchen refurb, so the 'electrician' decided for the lighting circuits to comply he/she had to fit an additional consumer unit! Perhaps he/she has never heard of Starbreaker RCBO's?

100_0296.jpg

The Crabtree board is the original.

100_0302.jpg

100_0299.jpg

So 2 DB's instead of fitting 3 RCBO's. I don't know if there is any certs, have yet to speak to the client. No mixed wiring colour stickers or date of installation/tests.

The final 2 photo's are just above the DB's as I found it no lid.

100_0294.jpg

100_0303.jpg

Sponsored Links
Good god that is the worst i've ever seen all there is clealy a good few ways left over it was just a job to get more money i bet!!

What's the cut off cable at the top of the big box of worms?
Thanks
Jake

It looks to me like the lighting circuits were there and he has moved them to the new board, instead of just putting a couple of Crabtree RCBOs.

Those blanking plates are new and some of the wiring in the new CU is old black&red.

What a horlicks!

Liking the large conductors (10mm?) in what look to be 30A terminal blocks.

EDIT: Perhaps unfounded criticism on my part, just looked again and can't see any MCBs >32A in the CU. Still, the terminals look far too small for the wiring. That's not to say there isn't plenty more left to criticise...

Sponsored Links
I've only had a quick look at the job. Yes the connectors are awful, the 10.00mm T & E is protected by a 32a mcb, but the connectors look under size or very cheap 30amp ones! Have only communicated with the client via the builder, but he (the client) is fuming and will be calling the so called spark back. Will update when and if the original spark comes back!

The bus bar on those is permanently fitted, it is concealed inside a plastic moulding. The MCBs have flat bars on the back which just 'plug in' to the holes in the bar (the flat rectangular holes just below the din rail).

The RCCB has 2 connections (in / out) with the neutral connected via the black wire in the centre. This is also why the Crabtree RCCBs are 3 modules wide as compared to most other makes which are 2 modules.

Yes, but the Crabtree RCBOs would have plugged right into that busbar, job done without that additonal board.

The new CU was probably cheaper than a couple of RCBOs for the crabtree board :rolleyes:

Type B's were readily available on Ebay for less that £20 delivered last time I looked. Although yeah that new one looks like it cost about a tenner!

I think chint are a bit better than that.

It looks the same as GTI i think

I dont do domestic boards, but is that normal 80A rcd's in 100 A boards,
Dont seem right to me, but all the ones i have seen have them.
I suppose it is unlikely to exceed 80 A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back