Overlaying wood cills with UPVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if someone could offer advice on the fixing of upvc sections.

I am intending to overlay my existing internal cill/window boards with “L” shaped
(220mm 22mm X 9mm) upvc sections.

I don’t want to take out the original boards because they appear to be quite sound but because they are made of some kind of reconstructed timber it is very difficult to obtain a good painted finish.

Therefore I am considering fixing the upvc with silicone adhesive to the existing cills.

My questions are as follows:-

1/If I fix the overlay to the existing cills, I am merely sticking the upvc to a thin layer of paint.
Is this normal or advisable?

2/On the other hand I could nail a 5mm layer of plywood to the existing cills and then fix the upvc to the ply.
If I did this, would I first have to prime the ply and if so what would I use and also would it be the same as fixing to paint as in 1 above?

For your information the existing cills are made from some sort of boards which I haven’t seen before which are like compressed wood splinters.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Tony,

Sponsored Links
Hi Bilioustrumpstaine
Thank you for the message and the link.

I followed the link and their products were very interesting but I think they were a bit upmarket for what I had in mind.

The reason I posted was because not being a carpenter/joiner I had asked advice at the outlet that stocked the adhesive.

However the reply I received was something like “Oh yes this will stick anything to anything under any conditions” so before I started I thought I’d try to obtain some practical advice.

So thank you again for your interest and time.

Cheers,

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back