Overload or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems that you should not connect a spur (for outside lights) from a socket that is already a spur, or from a socket that is feeding a spur.

Is that because of concerns about overloading or is there another reason?

I would like to connect up to 4 outside lights to power but the most convenient sockets are the spur and the socket that is feeding it.

The bulbs to be used are no more than 50w each.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can connect from a spur to a 3A FCU used to supply your o/s light(s).

no you can't...

only one FCU or accessory is allowed per spur..

can you not take a 1.5 back to the nearest lighting point and connect it to the lights..?

this will have the added advantage of not taking out the power to your sockets in the event that you get moisture in the light fittings.. ( assuming your sockets are RCD protected as they should be.... )

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. The lighting circuit is in a ceiling that is not easily accessible and the light switch ison the furthest wall away from the garden. Not difficult I know but not as easy as using the socket which is on the outside wall.

Are you saying that if I use a socket (not the spur) that it should be RCD protected with a suitable socket?

IF you are confident the total load on that spur will not exceed 13A, you could fit a switched spur on the end of the spur cable from the ring final, then feed your socket off the load terminals of the spur, putting a 13A fuse in the spur. Then come off the socket with another spur (3 or 5A this time) for the lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back