Overloaded cables, anyone seen any really bad ones?

Im sure my spot welder could overload the cable pretty quick!

I think its around 1000 - 2000A at 1 or 2v

David

Sponsored Links
Duncan P said:
does the fact that T+E having earth in the middle add to safety (with RCD), if anything melts the first thing it should touch would be earth. Is this a reason why you use T+E rather than flexible cable?

Not really. It is acceptable to use flexibles for fixed wiring, too.

Sponsored Links
I managed to melt the insulation on an extension reel of cable once when vacuuming the car or mowing the lawn or even possibly using a 110V tranny (can't remember which) and I hadn't uncoiled the entire reel as instructed on the side. It eventually went bang.

I also installed a clock in my ex-MOD Land Rover using a spare feed behind the dash, which I thought was fused. The clock feed fretted against a bracket behind the instruments and one fine day with my baby son in the car it worked through and overheated, filling the LR very fast with horrible fumes. Luckily I had a battery isolator on the seatbox so I was able to turn it off before jumping out with the baby. The cable was completely fried. Didn't stop the Landy though - being a diesel I just drove it home with no electrics, with the AA van following.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back