Overloaded Circut - How To Change MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 6Amp MCB which is a little bit too low. I would like to change this to be 10Amp because the circut is overloaded.

Does anyone know how I can pull the old MCB off the CU? I tried to push the pin at the back of the MCB and lift up but was not able to do

Sponsored Links
By calling a competent electrician, who can assess if you can safely increase the MCB rating, and knows how to work on a Consumer Unit

By calling a competent electrician, who can assess if you can safely increase the MCB rating, and knows how to work on a Consumer Unit

Isnt this a diy forum where people help one another rather then a forum where tradesmen pitch for work?

You are out of your depth fiddling with a consumer unit, when you thought a light switch had a fuse in it.......

Sponsored Links
You are out of your depth fiddling with a consumer unit, when you thought a light switch had a fuse in it.......

Thanks but that is for me to judge.

If you wish to help please explain how the MCB can be removed from the CU

If you wish to help please explain how the MCB can be removed from the CU

No, it really isn't for you to judge. You clearly cannot judge what is safe or is not.

I already explained how to do it.....

I am sorry about that - Please forgive me

Please can you help me as I need to change the MCB and cannot afford an electrician

I live in London

I just want to know to change an MCB - They should just pull out right?

You've doen yourself no favours at all in the recent past on here and also demonstrated a lack of respect for tradespeople and regulations - this is not how to get help.

Why is the cirecuit protected by a 6A breaker? Can the circuit handle 10A? etc etc etc etc etc.

You've doen yourself no favours at all in the recent past on here and also demonstrated a lack of respect for tradespeople and regulations - this is not how to get help.

Why is the cirecuit protected by a 6A breaker? Can the circuit handle 10A? etc etc etc etc etc.

It can handle 10A - I cannot get the old 6A breaker out. It was 6A before because that is how it was installed

No it's not.

It's for people who actually know what they are talking about [HINT]That's not you[/HINT] to judge.

You have shown yourself, on multiple occasions, to be not only ignorant and stupid, but actively irresponsible in your behaviour and your attitude.

Your body of work here shows beyond any doubt whatsoever that the only involvement you should have with your electrical installation is as a user of lighting and other appliances.

[Isnt this a diy forum where people help one another rather then a forum where tradesmen pitch for work?
OK.

As I'm not a tradesman pitching for work...

Call a competent electrician who can assess if you can safely increase the MCB rating, and knows how to work on a Consumer Unit.

Stuff which makes me think he might not have read the below...
blank65x10t.gif
//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/taking-power-from-socket-for-light-switch.355588/

blank65x10t.gif
//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/does-my-light-switch-need-a-fuse.355864/

blank65x10t.gif
//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/do-lights-need-to-be-earthed.355863/

blank65x10t.gif
//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/cost-of-installing-downlights-a-joke.357396/

blank65x10t.gif
//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/dusk-till-dawn-security-lights.357713/

Isnt this a diy forum where people help one another rather then a forum where tradesmen pitch for work?

People are helping you, helping you to stay alive and un-injured in a house that is not damaged by moronic and repeated attempts at DIY

Please call in a competant electrician.
How do you know that the existing circuit can have a 10 amp mcb?
If you change the mcb to 10 amp will the circuit still be properly protected?
If you after the change have a fault which causes an injury or fire do think your insurance company will pay out...I doubt it.
Please get help from a a qualified electrician before you do yourself some harm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back