overloaded consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I was looking for some advice regarding my consumer unit. It looks to be the original unit from when the house was built in 1984, it contains the ‘rewireable’ type fuses, plus a 45A cartridge fuse for the 8.5kW shower. My concern is that I believe that this CU is only rated to 60A (a small sticker on the CU states that “max load should not exceed 60A").

With the shower fuse plus the remaining fuses to supply the rest of the house (ie ring main, immersion heater, garage etc), the total load could exceed 60A…

The shower was fitted by the last owner around 1992, it looks like it was fitted by the professionals as there is a 32mA RCCB fitted next to the CU plus the pull-cord isolation switch in the bathroom. However, the load in the CU is what concerns me. I have since removed the 45A cartridge fuse from the CU so the shower can’t be used until I get some further advice on this issue…. Can anyone advise, is a new CU needed here?

Thanks in advance!
Simon

Sponsored Links
Yes, and it needs to be professionally fitted by a qualified electrician who can issue a certificate when done (if not you will have to go through Building Control at your local council, which is more work and probably no cheaper).

If cost is a worry you could just have a new CU fitted to run the shower, and keep your lights and sockets connected to the old one. If you are doing this, have a largish split-load one fitted, with enough room for future expansion, and the unused ways blanked off.

Is your old CU a cream-coloured Wylex, with 4 or 6 fuses?

Thanks for the quick reply...

Yes - the CU is a Wylex cream model with 6 fuses.

Thanks again for the advice, I will certainly get an electrician in to update the CU as I am looking to sell the house in the near future....

Sponsored Links
Good move. If he replaces the entire CU, get him to issue a Periodic Inspection Report saying how the whole installation is in a really good condition - this will do your sale nothing but good. (He may need to do some upgrading of old stuff to be able to say this, and will protect your garage and downstairs sockets with an RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back