Overpriced ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been quoted for a replacement fusebox and it seems a bit pricey. The electrician told me I need to have some additional work done as well and he's asking £450 for labour. Here's what his quote says:

1) Add earth bonding to water service
2) Upgrade main earth conductor to 16mm
3) Upgrade meter tails to 25mm
4) Add supplementary bonding to bathroom
5) Replace light switch cables with T&E
6) Install split load consumer unit
7) Inspect & test

It's all double dutch to me - I only wanted to change the fusebox. Does all this need to be done, or is he taking the ****? When I asked him he said it needs to be done for regulations and safety.

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
see item 9 here here

1) Add earth bonding to water service - yes
2) Upgrade main earth conductor to 16mm - yes
3) Upgrade meter tails to 25mm = yes
4) Add supplementary bonding to bathroom recommended, but not sure if it has to be done
5) Replace light switch cables with T&E - were not mind readers
6) Install split load consumer unit - obviously needs done
7) Inspect & test - needs done

Thanks - sounds like it's probably a reasonable quote then.
The referece to replacing the light switch cables was 'cos the existing ones have no earth.

After the electrician has carried out the test, make sure you get an Electrical Installation Certificate ;)

Sponsored Links
DIYchallenged said:
Thanks - sounds like it's probably a reasonable quote then.
The referece to replacing the light switch cables was 'cos the existing ones have no earth.

there is quite a bit work involved in rewiring the lights

"there is quite a bit work involved in rewiring the lights" .......

I was given the impression that only that switch cables need replacing??

DIYchallenged said:
"there is quite a bit work involved in rewiring the lights" .......

I was given the impression that only that switch cables need replacing??

mayb. depends if the feeds have an earth. if they dont, then there is no point in changing just the switch cables.

I guess the guy has visually inspected the lighting circuits and discovered that there is a cpc in the feeds, hence only quoting for replacing the switch drops...

DIY - no offence intended, just a couple of questions:

1. How much did you expect to pay and what did you base this on?

2. Would you sacrifice safety for a smaller bill?

Securespark - I'm happy to pay for what was quoted as long as it is necessary. Having only asked for a new consumer unit, I was a little surprised at the additional work that needs to be done.

The responses that have been posted to my question suggest that this work does need to be done and that the price is a fair one. I'm therefore happy to pay. So, no I wouldn't sacrifice safety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back