Oxy Pilot spark electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Ah, OK.
That is the best but least convincing answer.

Sponsored Links
Tony, I think that it may help if I explain what the function of the oxy pilot is and this may help to explain why it is a sealed unit.

As you may know, when fuel is burnt, it uses oxygen from the air and produces carbon dioxide.

But if the supply of oxygen is limited then the carbon is only partially burnt and produces carbon monoxide instead of the dioxide.

Breathing carbon monoxide is very dangerous because it attaches to your hemoglobin and excludes the oxygen causing a lack of energy and eventual unconsciousness followed by death from oxygen starvation.

The oxy pilot is carefully designed so that the pilot light goes out if the surrounding oxygen level falls below about 20% and this cuts off the fire.

Tony

Back from the dead, or at least another activity involving a large mobile petrol container and the change of its spark plug, I do understand the working of the assembly.
Because of that, I am still quite happy to ask why the spark producing electrode is relevant to the safety of the combustion process or the control of the main gas burner.
The worst that could happen if the electrode were badly fitted is that the pilot could not be lit by it and so the thermocouple would not be heated resulting in the gas valve not being open.
I am not asking about changing the thermocouple, although even if that were done incorrectly it would not endanger safety.( Unless hypothermia because of no fire at all caused by the closing of the gas valve cut out and hence no heating is factored in)
Nor have I asked about disconnecting the gas supply.
What response would be given if a registered engineer with a frugal 0nature had asked?
Anyway, thanks for the varied contributions.

You have been told once already. The Oxy-Pilot is manufactured as separate parts and then assembled.

It is then put to safety tests and passed of failed on these. This with the original factory units in the original factory positions.

To alter these would be going against a manufacturers CE mark and would be classed as modification of a safety device.

Or to put it into something you may understand. Stop f00king about with it!!

Jon

Your right about the spark electrode. It won't make any difference to the Saftey.

You are however very wrong about the thermocouple, which proves you may know how a thermocouple works but don't know how an oxypilot works.

What you fail to acknowledge is that all the advise given here is correct, it also makes no difference to any of us what you do. If you kill your self and your family that is ultimately your choice to mess with stuff you don't understand.
I can't speak for everyone but I will sleep well knowing you've been correctly advised. You can't help everyone.

You have been told it is the whole oxypilot that needs to be changed AND that it needs to be replaced by someone competent to carry out the nessisary test afterwards.

All that may be factually correct, but what problem would be caused?
I am doing my best to understand but would prefer an explicit explanation rather than an expletive instruction.
Edit How is the replacement of the spark electrode a problem?
How does the theory of the flame combustion component impinge on the replacement?

Last edited:
All that may be factually correct, but what problem would be caused?
I am doing my best to understand but would prefer an explicit explanation rather than an expletive instruction.
Edit How is the replacement of the spark electrode a problem?
How does the theory of the flame combustion component impinge on the replacement?

I have explained. That IF u could replace the spark electrode alone then I wouldn't have any effect on combustion.
The fact is you CANT.
I don't see what else there is to explain

The oxypilot is a "sealed unit" because it is tested as one if the thermocouple were to be placed incorrectly by a very small amount. It could stop the oxypilot from doing its job, which is why it's a "sealed unit"

How you possibly think it could be drilled out I'll never know.

I'll say it again just incase.
You cannot replace the spark electrode alone.
You need to replace the oxypilot complete.
You will need a competent gas engineer to do it for you.

Stop being so fecking tight.

Thanks. Tightness in that sense is irrelevant.
As the spark electrode is just a ceramic cylinder fixed in a hole in the bracket plate, why is it unreasonable to snap it and drill it out if it won't just slide out?
Are you saying, though, that the ceramic electrodes are not available from anywhere?

It amazes me that anyone would even consider wasting time replying to a wind up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back