Oxygenated petrol - what is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was reading an article on petrol today (procrastination draws one to the strangest of literature). It mentioned "oxygenated gasoline", which apparently causes increased fuel consumption as the engine adjusts for the extra oxygen, presumably via the lambda sensor.

Now, I was wondering, what is oxygenated petrol and is it sold in this country, and if so, is it sold alongside "pure" petrol? I am wondering this as I have found I get more miles from a tank of brand-name petrol than supermarket petrol. So, perhaps the supermarkets are selling cheaper oxygenated petrol?

I expect Masona (guru of all that is crude or refined ;) ) is most likely to shed some light on this, but all input is welcome!

Sponsored Links
i was waiting to see if any one else repied, but obviously not.

try a search on google, it does give info on what it is or not

I don't have the details with me but I do know the oxygenated gasoline fail to meet air quality standards for ozone in the UK and the UK car manufacter are not keen on them at the moment because of the engine knocking problem thus you may find the warranty could be void. It's in the early stage at the moment as it does have some starting problem. I see if I can get some more details from work.
AdamW said:
I am wondering this as I have found I get more miles from a tank of brand-name petrol than supermarket petrol.
I think this is a philological thing (right word?) It a bit like the car always drive better when it's clean !!
The only thing I can think of at the petrol forecourt is that all underground petrol tank storage have some level of water content coming from condensation which is pumped out when it get to certain level, maybe it can effect the car performance (?).
BP supply petrol to Tesco, Safeway, Jet, Shell & so on and sometime if Esso is low on product they buy it off us as well !!!
I'm afraid the bottom half of UK petrol forecourt is supply mostly by BP!
Hmmm I think I pop into Shell to buy BP petrol :) So the brand name and supermarket petrol are no difference.

AdamW said:
I was reading an article on petrol today (procrastination draws one to the strangest of literature). It mentioned "oxygenated gasoline", which apparently causes increased fuel consumption as the engine adjusts for the extra oxygen, presumably via the lambda sensor.

Now, I was wondering, what is oxygenated petrol and is it sold in this country, and if so, is it sold alongside "pure" petrol? I am wondering this as I have found I get more miles from a tank of brand-name petrol than supermarket petrol. So, perhaps the supermarkets are selling cheaper oxygenated petrol?

I expect Masona (guru of all that is crude or refined ;) ) is most likely to shed some light on this, but all input is welcome!

Hmmmm ?

Sponsored Links
Did some more looking (tried "oxygenated gasoline" this time :oops: ).

Right, what it is, is that in colder parts of the US and Canada, during winter time they sell petrol that is mixed with an oxidiser (sometimes ethanol, sometimes MTBE which is another organic compound). This is done in areas that have carbon monoxide polution problems. The oxidiser allows the engine (especially older engines) to run leaner, thus getting more complete combustion.

It reduces "gas mileage" by 2-3% due to the lower energy content of the fuel.

It lowers emissions levels during cold starting, so I suppose it is analagous to when people used to chuck a bit of petrol in with their diesel in winter.

Theres a pic of my car on the aquamist site :)

Ive heard of oxygenating fuel..

BP ultimate is crap.. Optimax is much better.. Can run more ign advance with optimax anyway..

Then you add Toluene, Methanol and maybe ATF (for lubrication) to the tank for more power :D

David

dw3101 said:
Then you add Toluene,

Great stuff if you are running a Funny Car on open headers, not so great if you want to have a catalytic converter last more than 5 minutes! :LOL:

Now, standard 95 RON unleaded, that is equivalent to 4-star, I guess. I have read that the old 5-star petrol was 100 RON. Why is Super-unleaded only 98 RON then? Surely they are missing out on that one, imagine the advertising opportunities: E-type roars down the street, followed by a TVR Speed-12. "5-star for the new generation". :LOL:

Which one is your car then Dave?

Sponsored Links
Back