Padstones and spreader plates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm doing my own loft conversion, I have full plans passed and the steels arrived yesterday, I have 1 going into a spreader plate in a party wall and resting on a padstone the other end, another 1 on a spreader plate in the party wall which is bolted together to the 3rd beam , this join sits on a padstone, and the end of the 3rd sits on a padstone too.

I was wondering how the spreader plates are attached to the hole i made in the gable ends please? Do they just sit on a bed of cement? And does the steel just sit on top of the spreader plates and padstones?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why aren't you using all plates (or all padstones) for all the beams instead of a mixture? That would be much easier

You bed the plates on a solid 1:3 mortar bed. The beams just sit on them and the wall made good to restrain the bearing

Thanks alot woody, umm I don't know why really! I'm running the new joists in between the old ones with a small gap and figured that a padstone would be easier in some places as I wouldn't have to raise it up unlike a thinner spreader plate . And in the party wall I figured a plate would be better as I wouldn't need to make as big a hole.

I'm assuming the padstones just sit on a similar bed of mortar too? Sorry one last thing, the load bearing walls the padstones are going onto have a 4x2 strip of wood ontop of them ,do I need to cut sections out where the padstones are going and replace with an engineering brick or pop them directly onto the wood?

Thanks again

I'm assuming the padstones just sit on a similar bed of mortar too? Sorry one last thing, the load bearing walls the padstones are going onto have a 4x2 strip of wood ontop of them ,do I need to cut sections out where the padstones are going and replace with an engineering brick or pop them directly onto the wood?

I don't understand that at all!

As for padstones, they are built in just like a block or brick would be

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back