Pain Killer-There's Nothing Stronger

WWT - we are not talking about a drug, say to cure AIDS, which has taken thirty years to develop in the hope of making huge profits. We are talking about charging umpteen times the cost of, for example, aspirin by calling it by another name.

If you think this right and necessary to fund the R&D into new drugs then this R&D is being funded by the gullible.

Is it not a principle of business to invest either previous profit or borrowing to develop new products in the hope of future profit?

Actually, it does seem to be being done your way more these days. That is, getting the customer to pay for installation rather than supplying means to offer a product in the hope that the customer will buy it.
If you want a new gas or electricity supply, you have to pay for installation.
Did you have to pay directly for a new shop or filling station or does the company hope for future sales to pay for it and then make a profit?
Did anyone buy you a van and/or equipment so that you could earn money?

Oh I see, all other companies are paragons of virtue, dedicated to selling each product at a modest profit and no more. :LOL: I really don't see what your problem is. Some years ago a survey showed that the additonal cost per car from BMW or other premium marques due to advertising was many thousands of pounds. :eek: Yup, spend £25K on a new Audi, and £2-5K covers the cost of the fancy adverts, and perhaps the fancy car showroom too. The figure for a Nissan Micra was more like hundreds of pounds. That's my kind of car. :) And look at posh watches. I can buy a nice quartz wristwatch for £50. Or a quartz premium brand for £2,000. There ain't much difference, it's mainly branding. And I have that from a watch maker trained in Switzerland by a big name.

It's a free world, you make your choice. If you're savvy like the OP, you buy a generic drug.

By the way, I don't see this as wrong. If the extra profits (partly or even largely eaten into by advertising) help fund R&D, that sounds good to me. As I said, most candidate drugs fail. The big problem is that the market fails for some diseases e.g. ones that are rare (not enough customers), or common ones suffered by the poor (customers skint). Another problem is that an old drug might turn out to cure another disease, but why research uses of a drug with an expired patent, when generics will undercut your profits?

Sponsored Links
You seem to be missing the point and getting unduly irate with those who disagree with you.

Using your analogy, it would be like BMW putting their badge on a Micra and pretending it was better and charging far more.

For the past 2 years, because surgery is too risky an option, I've been taking a branded pain killer for gall stones. Yesterday, when the doc asked what I was now using, I said that I'd tried a few different brands but all in all found little difference in pain alleviation. "That's because they all use the same basic ingredients" he replied. To cut a long story short, I went out and bought 2 packs of paracetamol and 2 of ibuprofen in my local discount supermarket at 19p for a packet of 16 instead of £2+ for a packet of 12 of my branded painkiller. Perhaps it's a little too early to cast a judgement, but this morning, the pain relief seems to be just as good as the 10 times more expensive branded medication.
Not building up my hopes, but today has been the best pain free day I have had for the best part of two years. Today I convinced my mate, who has chronic back pain, to stop the nurofen and to try the generics. Will see how he gets on and keep posted.

On the subject of pain and painkillers. I suffer with Nocturnal Backpain whereby every morning I wake in the early hours, usually around 5am with awful pain which means I cat nap until around 7 when I get up. Strangely within 2 hours of getting up the pain has almost gone. Just wondering if anyone else on this forum suffers from this and what they do about it? My GP prescribed Tramadol but I don't like the side effects.

Sponsored Links
On the subject of pain and painkillers. I suffer with Nocturnal Backpain whereby every morning I wake in the early hours, usually around 5am with awful pain which means I cat nap until around 7 when I get up. Strangely within 2 hours of getting up the pain has almost gone. Just wondering if anyone else on this forum suffers from this and what they do about it? My GP prescribed Tramadol but I don't like the side effects.
Try a new mattress?

Try a new mattress?

I thought the same. There's lot's of kinds of mattresses, I like firm foam.

You seem to be missing the point and getting unduly irate with those who disagree with you.

Using your analogy, it would be like BMW putting their badge on a Micra and pretending it was better and charging far more.

Irate? You're avin' a laff you are. You're the one who is getting his undies in a twist over this, it don't bother me. Okay, here's an example. AA NiMH batteries made in Japan, sold under many brand names, such as Fujitsu, Eneloop, Duracell and Amazon Basics, huge variation in price. Are the veins on your forehead showing? :)

Brigadier and WWTurkeys. First thing I did was buy a new mattress but didn't help at all. Also sleep with a pillow between my knees which helps a little. If you care to google 'nocturnal back pain' you'll see that no one knows the reason for it.

Irate? You're avin' a laff you are.
I didn't realise you were a cockney.

You're the one who is getting his undies in a twist over this,
No, I'm not.

it don't bother me.
It seemed to.

Okay, here's an example. AA NiMH batteries made in Japan, sold under many brand names, such as Fujitsu, Eneloop, Duracell and Amazon Basics, huge variation in price.
I have no idea who makes which. There is a huge range of battery quality.
Perhaps it's down to the specifications.

Are the veins on your forehead showing? :)
Now who's being condescending.[/quote]

Brigadier and WWTurkeys. First thing I did was buy a new mattress but didn't help at all. Also sleep with a pillow between my knees which helps a little. If you care to google 'nocturnal back pain' you'll see that no one knows the reason for it.

Not knocking or getting snotty, honda.

So, if no one knows what causes it, there's a chance that something as simple as a new mattress could alleviate some cases.

So what do you suggest? That they invest large amounts of private capital developing a drug in the knowledge that the target consumers are too poor to pay for it.

How much research does it take to re-brand Nurofen as the best ever painkiller? Do the active ingredients change? Simple answer is no. There will be absolutely no research by Reckitt Benckiser to make Nurofen any different. (there may however, be a complete re-design of the packaging, by their marketing department) ;);)

What relevance does that remark have to my post? o_O

The OP is actually on about branded painkillers versus generic painkillers. Nothing at all about research into new drugs. ;);)

Has your GP considered arranging for you to have physiotherapy?

Has your GP considered arranging for you to have physiotherapy?
Good advice that. I was in agony with a bad back, pain killers not good long term obv. Dr sent me to physio who pointed out
strengthening of the inner core, abdomen. I initially doubted her exercise techniques like buttock clenching and a type of light press ups but not using your arms much, but within 10 days it began to wor kand never looked back..

I've had physio, which helped, and now visit an Osteo ten times a year, which I find keeps the back and joints mobile and aligned.

Some of mine is injury related, and I have injuries on both sides which sometimes cause me to roll onto my back without waking. When it was very bad I sometimes found it helped to lie face down, with a pillow under the chest to avoid suffocating, so the back, pelvis, head and shoulders relaxed into a "correct" curved shape. It might not work if you had a very large bust or belly.

JohnD have you tried lifting your shoulders off the bed or floor and holding them there for 10 secs x 10 every night.

Sponsored Links
Back