Paint cracking, need to remove emulsion from plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Experts - I need help please!!

I have redecorated our downstairs loo and originally put silk emulsion on the walls. Decided I didn't like the silk so painted Matt over the top and lots of fine cracks appeared.

Not realising this was a common mistake I have since put multiple layers of Matt on to try and hide the cracks but they keep coming through.

Is my only option to remove the emulsion back beyond the silk paint level? If so - what is the quickest way of removing multiple layers of emulsion on plasterboard walls please!

If this is such a common problem I can't believe there isn't a product available that I can paint over the cracking layer so the new layer of Matt will take properly???

Thanks in advance

Steve :(

Sponsored Links
Is the plasterboard skimmed?

If it is you might have to scrape it all off, but you could try buying 'soft sheen' paint, give the walls a good rub down, then paint over with the soft sheen, leave for a day or so, give the walls another light rub down and then use your matt.
Or whack a coat of oilbased undercoat on the walls (thinned), again leave for a day or so, then go over with the matt.

Thanks for the reply...

I was investigating the problem closer this evening and discovered that I can pull the paint off in 'sheets' much like wallpaper (I guess the plasterboard wasn't treated before it was painted??)

It took me about 30mins to pull the paint from most of the room so I guess I will be starting from scratch!

Do I need to do anything clever to the plasterboard to prep it properly?

Cheers

Steve

Is it Ames Taped Gyproc or Plastered Gyproc or Solid Plaster ?

Sponsored Links
It is bare plasterboard over the majority of wall space but the corners appear to have a little plaster (or filler) over them (only coming out about 3" from the corner) down the length of the wall..

HTH?

Steve

so, if it`s p/board thats been "messed about" by having the paint pulled off .........I would use Zinsser1-2-3........expensive, but I reckon it`ll give the best chance on the board.which is only a sheet of paper over the gypsum core....just my opinion ;)

Sounds like an Emulsion has been used directly onto Ames Taped Gyproc and the Emulsion cannot cope in the envoroment it has been apllied to.

I suspect it will be Dulux Luxurious Silk or some other Brand that is simular to Rich Silk.

However, to Dulux Luxurious Silk defence it clearly states it cannot be appied to "New, bare and porous surfaces".

The best Emulsion in my opinion for new/bare gyproc is Crown Trade Covermatt.

Thanks guys..

I now have the paint completely removed and need to consider my next move.

Some of the 'paper' from the front of the plasterboard came off with the paint (only in small areas) so do I now need to sand down with a fine grade paper to try and smooth things out?

Alternatively I could use a 'small cracks and surface filler' to level things off? Or am I missing the point and an emulsion such as the crown covermatt will cover up these small inperfections?

Finally I need to put a couple of tiles on the wall behind the hand basin - am I best to do this first straight onto the plasterboard or should I paint first (does it matter?)

Cheers

All comments / help appreciated!!

Steve

Third_Eye said:
Best getting in an Plasterer mate...................

You read my mind - he's booked for Tuesday! Decided the job was worth doing properly.

Thanks for the help guys.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back