paint for for internal damp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has anybody had any experience of anti-condensation paint? I think they work by absorbing heat with glass microspheres.

Also, which paint is best for covering up black mould (after a thorough cleaning)

Sponsored Links
has anybody had any experience of anti-condensation paint? I think they work by absorbing heat with glass microspheres.

Also, which paint is best for covering up black mould (after a thorough cleaning)

I have never used anti-condensation paints. If my customer has condensation , I tend to recommend improving airflow.

Someone else on this forum was recently asking about anti-condensation paints. I did some digging- it looks like they do indeed help but in some cases they will simply extend the time taken for the condensation to form.

Shower room ceilings prone to condensation, I just use waterbased eggshell. If the airflow is not improved, the condensate will eventually drip down from the ceiling.

Covering black mold? A shellac paint will dry quickly, allowing you to apply a second coat after an hour or so. Brushes and rollers need to be cleaned with household ammonia. Do not use a foam roller, the alcohol in the paint makes the foam rollers swell and become floppy.

Bleach is the best paint for covering up black or other coloured mould.

Exterior gloss paint can block water so long as it has no edges where water can get behind.

Sponsored Links
I've found the best solution to kill black mould is to rip out the surface it feeds upon and redo the whole area. Anti-damp paint seems to work well enough but needs to be used in a well ventilated room and minimum condensation, as recommended.

thanks to all. part of my problem is that the property was built in the 1950's and not constructed to have double glazing, uPVC front doors or central heating. As everybody has indicated, it's the flow of air that is important. To me, not an expert, it certainly looks like condensation but we are going to get the windows resealed just in case there is water coming through.

Hello everybody,
As advised, to increase the ventilation, we decided to put in air vents into the front door but it has not made any difference.

We have a 4 in a block flat with our flat on the upper 1st floor. As you come in the front door you have the stairs in front of you. It is the walls on the ground floor as you enter the property that are the problem. These are about a meter wide at the bottom of the stairs.

has anybody used any of the following to eradicate condensation?
1 - Heater
2 - Foil insulation
3 - Insulation board

If you clean it correctly, there is no black to cover with paint

Find out where the water (damp) is coming from and correct it.

Is it from steamy showers?

Is it from wet washjng?

Is it from a leak?

Find out where the water (damp) is coming from and correct it.

Is it from steamy showers?

Is it from wet washjng?

Is it from a leak?
the condensation comes from central heating where the moisture gathers on the ground floor. I can't remember any problems before I fitted a uPVC door.

Central heating does not create water

Unless it leaks.

When first installed, it can drive out evaparation by warming damp walls.

Central heating does not create water

Unless it leaks.

When first installed, it can drive out evaparation by warming damp walls.
I suppose it is a combination of wet clothes, showering cooking etc. If I have got vents in the door, is there any point in putting in an air brick?

Are you now saying you dry clothes indoors?
I dry clothes indoors - I have stopped using the tumble drier because I am guessing the electricity is a rip off. The windows and door glass then condenses the water. After that I am not sure what happens. I am guessing then the water evaporates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back