Paint Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the second room we've painted since moving into the current house. Bathroom had no issues.
Trying to repaint one of the bedrooms, wedge shape (approx. 3m long and width varies from 1.6 to 3.3m wide).
We think the previous owners painted the bedroom using Dulux Heritage Classic Whites Pale Sepia (a small sample pot was left, but we don’t know for definite if it is this paint). After trying the local Homebase and B&Q we couldn’t find any Pale Sepia so we went for Dulux Matt for Walls and Ceilings, Gentle Fawn as the colours closely match.
After washing the plasterboard walls down and then putting up 2 coats and using all of the 5 litres of paint, we’ve still got streaks. Looks as if it may need more coats - 1 or may be even 2. We’ve used a paint pad and I’ve previously had good results. While using a thin brush to cut in, we’ve had to put up several coats, which is generally unusual. While painting we’ve noticed that the old paint seems to be coarse, we’ve had to use a lot more paint than usual. Each coat needs an overnight to dry, while the tin says 2-4 hours.
While washing down the walls we noticed that the water in the bowl became very clouded. As for other rooms, while trying to clean off the usual wear and tear marks, we’ve also noted this cloudy affect.
We could just continue to put up more coats, but something seems wrong. I’m no paint expert so any advice much appreciated?

Sponsored Links
If you're washing down emulsioned walls, I'd rather expect to see a bit of paint in the water. I've not used a paint pad, but when rolling on paint, I generally find that 2 coats will 'mostly' cover a wall, but a third is required for a perfect finish.

Sometimes I can get away with two and a touch up with a brush - but I always white emulsion the walls before the colour. For comparison, I used 10ltr of white and 5ltr colour in our 3 x 4m bedrooms; we used crown matt, with cheap crown white matt for ceiling and wall undercoats.

That's a massive amount of paint. I painted my bedroom from yellowy/cream to light green with 2 coats of Crown matt. I have about 1/2l litre left so probably used 1 litre per coat.
Mind you first I rollered on £25 of Albany cream and it was still patchy after 3 coats. Dreadful stuff, no coverage at all. Also very visible roller marks all over it. Exactly the same experience in the 2nd bedroom. The Albany was fine in the bathroom which was freshly skimmed if that made any difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back