paint job epic fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have just recently started to repaint a wooden surround for my fire and I'm having a few issues with the top coat of paint, would be grateful of any advice.

The wooden surround is actually mdf, I abraded the surface to remove the shine and gave it a coat if zinnser 123 primer, I followed it up with two coats of dulux undercoat and finally one coat of fortress trade satin. The satin went on about 54 hours ago but it's still not cured. The paint has dried but still feels soft, I'm guessing the top coat is a load of rubbish? If I try abrading with 600 grit the top coat will just start to come off where the paint is not hard!

Can anyone shed some light into what I am doing wrong, apologies in advance for being clueless !

Sponsored Links
Some paints, especially the glossier kind can take a long time to fully cure; the thicker the paint, the longer it will take.

You're probably not doing anything wrong, other than not waiting long enough. I don't know if the Fortress trade paint is supposed to be thinned down; if so, you'll just need to wait a little longer still.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back