paint over a new wall

jia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,
I have put dulux paint over a new bare plastered bathroom ( walls and ceiling) . I did not use a primer or a sealer. The paint looks ok and is not stripping off but I think it must be quite weak.?

Can anyone advise

Is it possible to put sealer now and repaint the bathroom would the second coat paint hold if I do that?

Is there any alternative to striping it all off?

IF not what is the best way to take off the paint. Any advise would be really appreciated

Jia

Sponsored Links
Nothing can be done now, leave it up there have a few showers as suggested & see what happens; if it stays on there good enough but you will probably have problems when you try to paint over it again & it may well start to fall off after a few months. When it's starts to bubble & peel, strip it all off & do it properly next time.

Sponsored Links
If you have decent extraction in the room you might be ok.

Problems are most likely to become obvious when the paint gets wet, hence the reference to showering (and condensation) and future repainting.

If you do need to remove it you can use a steam stripper with a replaceable blade scraper.

There is an outside chance that Zinsser BIN might help. It is alcohol based and will not active the emulsion. Unfortunately it is not 100% waterproof and might allow some steam through and you will end up back at square 1.

Thinning the emulsion as per the maker's instructions is normally sufficient as a "primer".

Thinking allowed, i guess that not diluting the first coat is less of an issue for the dulux retail paint as it has a higher water content than the trade paint

If you want to test a small area then mix some wall paper paste and brush it on. It evaporates slowly. If the paint doesn't bubble then things could be ok.[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back