Paint peeling :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok... let me tell you what I've done so far:

I had my hallway skimmed because the plaster was very damaged.

2 weeks later I mixed a 1:4 solution of Homebase Base Coat paint and painted it on.

1 week later (ie tonight) I've rollered on the first coat of Dulux Diamond Matt and in a lot of places, the Base Coat has peeled off as I applied the paint.

The walls were dry! Any idea why this is happening? I've tried the above technique on walls which were still ever so slightly moist and not had a problem - these walls should have been easy.

What do I do :(
Thanks for any help...

Sponsored Links
They could have been polished up a bit too much by the plasterer, or theres slurry from the plastering on the surface.

Im sceptical about all these 'base coat' paints...we dont use them in the trade and a 'mist and two' has done the job for generations

your home base piant hasn`t bonded with the plaster very well. either very dusty or to smooth, also i normaly do 1 water to 3 paint, so at 1/4 your paint may have had all the water sucked out to quickly.

go down to a dulux trade centre and get some dulux trade super matt, they also do a paint for problem areas but try the super mat first, this should help repair the damage and give future paints a good suface to bond to.

also the diamond matt is very thick, did you only do one coat of home base, i normally do 2 coats of thinned paint, then a standard white matt then the colour

Sponsored Links
Wow.. never knew that 'too smooth' plaster would be a problem - there I was thinking my plasterer did a fabulous job. I washed down the walls several times so there's definitely no dust. Am I supposed to distress the walls first or something?
Thanks for the help - I've gone with watered down Diamond Matt followed by 2 x normal coats. This has worked a treat. I hereby curse Homebase and everything it stands for.

When did you wash your walls ?

I assume you washed the bare plaster ! Is this so ?

If yes to above, what did you uise to wash the bare plaster ?

What is the exact instructions on the Base Coat ?

What is the exact instructions on the Diamand Matt ?

Um, I washed the bare plaster several days beforehand with sugarsoap and then plain water.

The base coat advises watering down for a first coat and states 1:4 ratio + allow 6-9 hours drying time.

The Diamond Matt advises the same although a 4-6 hour drying time.

Ok........

First of all, new plaster does not need to be washed down. What you have done unfortunatly has made your Sugar Soap into an Sealer. This could be causing your problem with your Base Coat.

However, your problem could be also by USING TWO DIFFERENT BRANDS of paints on top of each other. I say this because SOME Paint systems explain that there OWN BRAND of topcoat MUST be used.

What does the Base Coat say about what is to be used when overcoating the Base Coat ?

Does the Base Coat state it can be applied to new/bare surfaces ?

The sugar soap may also have caused a problem if it wasnt rinsed off properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back