PAINT ROLLERS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Really boring question but, I have found that generally the more you pay for paint rollers, the better job they do. Only one problem I have real trouble cleaning them well enough that they can be used again. I always leave some paint on them and then they go hard.

Any tips ?

Cheers, Dom.

Sponsored Links
Well, you can certainly improve on your cleaning, but even when I clean them I can't get them as clean as before being used for the first time.

Do this:

Salvage the cage from a 3 inch roller frame, and drop a 6 inch long by 1/4 inch diameter bolt through it. Push a piece of 1/4 inch ID rubber hose onto that bolt to keep the cage in place and prevent it from spinning on the bolt (cuz of friction between the end of the rubber hose and end of the cage).

Then, put that contraption into an electric drill. Preferably a high speed electric drill.

After washing out your roller sleeve, slip the wet sleeve onto the above contraption and "spin dry" the sleeve in a plastic pail (to catch the water flung out) using the electric drill. That will remove more paint by removing more dirty water from the roller sleeve.

If you then let the roller sleeve soak for a while longer in water and spin it out again, you'll get some more paint out of it. Generally I don't bother doing that, tho.

Using that method, you can easily get 3 or 4 uses out of a roller sleeve with emulsion paint.

What I do is use new or used roller sleeves for emulsion paint and wash them out each time, and use old roller sleeves for oil based paints and chuck them after use.

Adding a bit of detergent to the wash water should help in the cleaning by lowering the surface tension of the water.

Good tip with the drill thing Nestor.

If I need to use a roller the next day with a different colour, I just leave it stood up under a slow running tap for a while, turning it over ocassionaly. I find that sliding your hands down it like you're putting a condom on it works well. :confused: :oops: (cue zampa's **** taking ;) )
Once you're sure the roller is pretty clean, I chuck mine in the drier until dry and fluffy.

Gcol:

If you often need to switch colours, you might want to make a contraption like mine. If I need to paint with a different color, I can wash out the roller, spin dry it, and be using it with a different color straight away. After a minute of spin drying, it's dry enough to use again. No need to wait for water to evaporate from the sleeve.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Good tip with the drill thing Nestor.

If I need to use a roller the next day with a different colour, I just leave it stood up under a slow running tap for a while, turning it over ocassionaly. I find that sliding your hands down it like you're putting a condom on it works well. :confused: :oops: (cue zampa's p**s taking ;) )
Once you're sure the roller is pretty clean, I chuck mine in the drier until dry and fluffy.

You mean you need to use BOTH hands... :cry:

I use one of these..but then again I would...wouldnt I..

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...540&srccode=cii_14110944&cpncode=07-6639648-2

for paint rollers i normally chuck'em in the washing machine (low temp quick wash, though you can put it in a normal wash, but its longer) come out as new.

Oh was meant to say as well, afterwards you dont need to put the washing machine on a empty cycle, just pop your washing in afterwards its fine (did that by accident, but its ok)

Also to note, water based paint only!

nickcardwell said:
for paint rollers i normally chuck'em in the washing machine (low temp quick wash, though you can put it in a normal wash, but its longer) come out as new.

Oh was meant to say as well, afterwards you dont need to put the washing machine on a empty cycle, just pop your washing in afterwards its fine (did that by accident, but its ok)

Environmetalists take note!!

Zampa said:
nickcardwell said:

Environmetalists take note!!
:eek:

Hmm I got a fkn water meter tho. :rolleyes:

Maybe not so thrilling as sliding me hands down em ;) i scrape excess paint off with a bit plywood i cut to shape in half moon before and during swilling.

gcol said:
Pretty cool Zampa.

Did you expect anything esle?:cool:

Hmm I got a fkn water meter tho.

Maybe not so thrilling as sliding me hands down em i scrape excess paint off with a bit plywood i cut to shape in half moon before and during swilling.

Easy solution..use someone else's :evil:

Bought a Harris or Draper ( One of the two ) roller cleaner today. It is just a plastic ring, flared out a one end. Cost 97p from Tesco's. You just pull the roller through it two or three times and the roller is clean and dry. Genius !

;) Here's a good tip for ya. Get the wife to clean them for you :LOL: . When its time to clean the rollers,i ask the missus to give a hand(to save time ;) ) and when she's finished cleaning them there like new. I think i must of used the same roller about 10 times now. And i alway say to her that she is brilliant a cleaning them,and i could never get them a clean as she can. :evil:

I done that one...telling the wife how good she was at rubbing down...works a treat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back