Paint stripping from timber frame windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The windows on my 1850s terrace are double glazed, and have been painted at some point with an exterior fencing type paint in a reddish brown colour. Some of the paint has now cracked and some is coming off. I started sanding the frames back on the weekend, but it took forever to sand one side of one window - I've ended up sanding it back completey as paint started coming off in some places but not others. So I've decided it's best to take all the paint off and repaint them with a linseed oil based paint.

I know a heat gun paint remover will affect the double glazing seal. Would a product like Nitromorse (sp??) be ok to use on the window frames? It's horrible stuff to work with, but I've not been able to think of any other option for removing the paint without taking up the next 3 weekends and without affecting the double glazing seal. I'm assuming chemical paint removers won't affect the seal?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
I have used Nitro-Mors to completely remove the old varnish from a pre war oak floor. with splendid results. Also, it cut the time by half to get the old paint off a wooden window frame. I am a DIYer and would recommend it but, the professionals might be able to point out any drawbacks. I would suggest some masking tape against a DG unit, just to ensure that the stripper does not penetrate under the glazing bars although, in my opinion, not much harm would be done if it did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back