Paint types to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently had a room re-plastered and coved. I have put mdf skirting down. I didn't remove the architrave. Which i now found i probably should have.

Can i use satinwood paint straight on the mdf that has a white coat on it?

Does the architrave need sanding as it is currently glossed prior to painting over in satinwood?

The plastered wall and ceiling, i have put an interior plaster sealant on. Can i now go ahead and paint with an all over white base coat?

Also was the sealant required for a newly plastered wall?

Sorry i'm new to this, any help would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Plaster only needs a 'mist' coat (thinned emulsion 20-30%) before at least 2 full coats.
The gloss on the architrave should be lightly rubbed-down to provide a key for the new paint otherwise it may slough off !
If the MDF has some kind of factory-finished white primer then two coats of satinwood will suffice.. Steer clear of 'quick drying' water-based paints for woodwork ;)

I second that !! :LOL: Not sure what sealer you may have used but as LJW says a mist coat is all that is needed first piror to full coats going on. The sealer may be PVA based and as such could make the emulsion peel off at a later date.

Sponsored Links
The sealant was a b&q interior plaster sealant. It is water based, pva is not mentioned on the label. The 20% emulsion would have been better and cheaper i feel.
Thanks for the satinwood wood on gloss comment. That will save some time.
The mdf came wth a white finish so i take it it will be fine to paint straight on to.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back