Painted Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
The radiator in my Kitchen has started smelling and the only thing I can put it down to is that my Hubby painted it with ordinary paint instead of Rad paint. Would it smell so bad (i have had to turn it off) by just doing this? I have looked on the Internet for advice but nothing comes up for painted rads that smell! I just want to be sure it's that and nothing more sinister!
Many thanks :LOL: Great site :D

Sponsored Links
Thats all it can be
Its the oil, or just the paint burning.
Will need rubbing down, priming & start again

Radiators that have been painted will always smell when they first get switched on. The paint is burning on as the temperature increases, this is totally normal. Radiator enamel is awful stuff and the fumes even worse. Iv'e known people pass out using it.

Sponsored Links
Mine are all painted with oil-based undercoat, and white gloss - some 7 years - and never had any bad smells, etc......

OJ.

I paint several rads a month .. After prep just one coat of gloss.. They always smell for several days... Open window will help... :LOL:
Sometimes I use quick drying eggshell (dulux equivelent of water borne satinwood) No smell at all then and stays white :cool:
John

:( OK now I am confused! How come mine smells so strong after 6mths then? It get worse the more I turn up the heat on it............... :cry:

:( OK now I am confused! How come mine smells so strong after 6mths then? It get worse the more I turn up the heat on it............... :cry:

Because 6 months ago, you didn't have the heat on.

Perhaps also, you have an overdeveloped sense of smell, combined with a serious doubt about hubby's competence.

Patience, a good "common cold", or separation, should deal with this.

:oops: Of course! :rolleyes: Senior moment...........but divorce WILL be on the table if this is not rectified! Thanks again for everyones help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back