painted skirting onto oak floor, best method.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
whats the best way to go about this, its a new build so am i better to lay my floor, paint my skirting before fitting and then make good after. MDF skirting with a waterbased finish.

out of interest if you painters had an ideal world would you paint your walls before 2nd fix carpentry?

Sponsored Links
I would at least prime & undercoat the skirting before fitting ontop of new floor. New build so no skirting fixed yet? Then cut in the topcoat. In case of accidently catching the floor , have a putty knife with a clean rag wrapped round the blade ready to wipe along the edge of floor. - knife edged cloth ;)

out of interest if you painters had an ideal world would you paint your walls before 2nd fix carpentry?

Nope. would slow me down, as no ideal carpenter to 2nd fix onto uneven walls. Like to stop up first.mist walls, u/c wood trims, finish ceilings/walls then topcoat trims. ;)

uncle albert said:
whats the best way to go about this, its a new build so am i better to lay my floor, paint my skirting before fitting and then make good after. MDF skirting with a waterbased finish.

I second CC advice, and just leave the top coat to do, as I dare say you would have to caulk round the tops of your skirtings anyway, then do your final coat on your walls, then your final coat on your skirtings.

Just a little tip here incase this happens......

You might find when you actually fit the skirtings that the bottom of the skirtings will fit flush on the floor in one end, and as you go along trying to keep it straight against the wall, you might find there is some tiny gaps between the bottom skirting and the floor.

This did happen to me, (but a carpenter I am not lol), but the top end I wanted level and straight so it would mitre onto the next length, but I found there were some tiny gaps between the floorboards and the bottom of the skirting.

So, when it was stuck good and fast and before I did my top coat, I put some decorators caulk very carefully along the bottom of the skirtings, so it looked as though it was part of the skirtings, hence no gaps, and a nice neat finish, (if I say so myself) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back