Painter drinking on the job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Sorry, this is not exactly DIY. A painter and decorator was recommended to us (after 10 years of DIYing it ourselves) so we duly hired him and left him to it whilst we were at work. At the end of the day he was clearing up and a carrier bag was spotted by us containing empty beer cans. Now, I've been racking my brains trying to think of a sensible explanation - lucky charms (like a rabbits foot..) or sentimental attachment to old cans but can only deduce that he was drinking and painting. I like a drink myself but am appalled that he could do this when he knew we trusted him. Now my question is, what does everyone else think, especially you chaps in the trade? :confused:

Sponsored Links
what kind of job did he do good or bad :) and did he drink your beer ;)

Well, I'm no expert but could have done the job at least as well - just didn't have the time. I expected a professional job but didn't get it - don't seem to be having much luck with tradesmen these days, what with rubbish bathroom fitter as well. :( Just wanted to know other peoples thoughts. If he'd drunk my beer it'd be a police matter :LOL:

I have known a lot of "tradesmen" who have religously gone to the pub for "lunch" and I dont care what anyone says it affects their work or conciensiousness and their finishing. To me its the same as drink and driving they dont mix :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
theres times and places for drinking i had a work partner that started drinking on the job we soon parted now i see him painting fronts of houses £50 full internal redec £200 totally under cutting people for drink money i see him brush in 1 hand can in the other total scum what impression does it give the tenants :!:

Sorry to hear your plight..

My take on it, if the guy had of done a good job then the fact that he was on the sauce in work is not your problem...but he clearly has some sort of problem, hitting the booze and still messing up is bad news.

The general code of practice is you dont do it..i wouldnt, even a couple of pints would wreck me in the afternoon, and whats the point, beer is no more thirst quenching than a botlte of lemonade.

A biiger problem however is dope...tooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people are on it in work, have one before and during work hours.

I once caught two of my blokes having a spliff at 11 am in the car park of the school we were working on!!!..when I pulled them about and asked why they said 'to chill' :rolleyes: IN A SCHOOL!!! IN MY TIME!!! BEING PAID BY ME!!! :confused:

I sent the pair of them home to 'chill' instead which was a bit hard because one was a mate, but its a joke... and getting a bit to common for my liking.

difficult one this :(
it can be wrong on so many levels :(

you need to decide what you feel
if perfection and a quick job is your ideal then you must confront him and give him no way out

if want a good job most off the time then suggest no breaks except for tea or coffee if you want him to have a way out without loss off pride

another choice you have is to confront him and offer to help him [he will not think he needs any help] but thats your choice
you need to select your chosen rout and decide what outcome you would like
but if you mention a drink problem you are in for a confrontation

is there no way off earmarking posts of say greater than 6 months so we know its been dragged up again when we come to post on it :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back