Painting a bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a modern varnished pine bed that I want to paint in eggshell. Am I OK just to sand the varnish flat to provide a key for paint, or should I aim to take the whole lot off? I was going to use an oil based primer, then undercoat then eggshell - or could I miss any of those out?

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
A light key and then prime it with zinsser 123 which is water based or zinsser coverstain which is solvent based. You don't need to undercoat eggshell, just apply two coats

A light key and then prime it with zinsser 123 which is water based or zinsser coverstain which is solvent based. You don't need to undercoat eggshell, just apply two coats

Same question concerning gloss-painted woodwork (skirting etc). If I want to paint white eggshell over white gloss, what preparation should I do? Just rub down and paint?

Cheers
Richard

Ideally use 123 but you can usually get by without it if you give it a good rub down and they are both white.

Sponsored Links
Just rub down worked well for my skirting. Just do it properly and you will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back