Painting a gas heater.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Is it possible to paint the frame of a gas heater similar to the ones in the links below? If it is, would special paint be required or would ordinary paint suffice?

The following picture isn't very clear but if you can make it out, there are four parts on this heater.

http://www.appliance-direct.co.uk/products/small/misermatic.gif

1) The brown wooden frame (which normally has the cut out to accommodate the heater control knob).
2) The brown metal face at the front of the heater.
3) The silver metal part at the front that has the protective grille across it.
4) The white parts that get heated in the centre.

Note that I am referring to the actual parts of the heater itself and not the surround of the fireplace that is in the picture.

The parts that I want to paint are 1 and 2 above.

Another clearer example, but not as similar as the one above to the one which is to be painted:-

http://southnorthamptonshirelibdems.org.uk/news/images/Gas Fire.jpg

If it is possible, any advice would be appreciated on which paint to use and how to paint it, i.e preparation, coats, etc.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yu can get specia; heat resistant pants in the diy stores...but i dont think the colour range is vast

Thanks Zampa.

Heat resistant pants?! Maybe I could purchase a pair. Haha.

So, I take it that basically, apart from using the heat resistant paint, everything else is the same as if painting a normal door.

Your advice is appreciated as always.

Hi Zampa.

I've checked at my local B&Q and there is only a spray paint called woodstove or something and radiator paint which is only available in white/cream.

I'm looking for something that can be brushed on. I have found a few on the Internet, but will need to find out if they are suitable for wood. Would I still need a special (heat resistant) paint if I only paint the wooden parts and not the metal?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The wooden part shouldnt be too bad as it shouldnt really get that hot..youll certainly need to give it a good rub down first though..then,prime with something like zinseer and undercoat and gloss/eggshell it...eggshell would be my choice as its a nicer finish..I would use a water based paint for the finish for health and safety reasons.

Thanks for your wonderful advice, Zampa. REALLY appreciate it! Will let you know how I get on.

if i come across a gas fire or heater that is painted i class it as AR (At Risk) because it has been changed from original and could be a potential problem if heat effects the paint, obviously most i come across have been painted for years and the paint is unknown so AR it has to be, before you change any appliance you should seek clarification in writing from the manufacturer, perhaps by suggestion a type of paint to them and asking confirmation that is is ok to use, they might be wary of giving consent in case you get paint on the internals but its worth an ask, but as long as you use heat resistant paint you will be fine, do you own the fire or are you a tenant? if a tenant you should ask landlords permission as well in case they counter charge you for a new fire later

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back