Painting a house that'll forever crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Right what I think I know is:

My house is 150 years old
It's built on mud, there's no footings it's simply sat straight on the clay.

I believe it's a lime type mortor between bricks and what I've read is this stays flexible and will allow movement without causing cracks?

Right the previous owner set about the house with a 'scotching hammer' and had the house completely rendered [this may have been a damp proofing measure as solid walls].
The render is good and solid [well attached] but will not stop cracking, only fine hairline cracks following brick lines but not very pretty.
I'm guessing as I know no better that this is because the house can move but the render can't, it doesn't help that they're building a Tesco's down the road and I'm having daily over 100 heavy haulage lorries come right past my house [house is near roadside and it's a little country lane]. Didn't really notice cracks before this work started but how can you prove they're responsible, I know it wasn't this bad two years ago because that's when we bought the place.

Sorry back to point of post ;)

Is there a rubber skin type paint for outside that will cover the hairline cracks and make the house look nice again? I would knock the render off but not sure what damage previous owner did to the brick faces :rolleyes:

Many thanks
Brian

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the tip's Chris

The paint looks like it'll do the job so worth trying, the cracks are so fine that without actually digging them out I'm not sure they're even wide enough to accept any filler [really hairline]

Will most definitely try filling/covering them with the paint first and see how I get on from there ;)

Cheers mate

Brian

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back