Painting a plastered ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed a thick paper from a ceiling and discovered that looks to have never been treated/painted (must have been plastered some 30years ago when previous owner had done an extension) would like advise now on what paint to apply (ie primer ? Then undercoat and then a final emulsion finishing paint - need to know if the plaster will need a wet coat to obsorb into the plaster. So far I have stripped off the paper and sugar coated and then washed down the plaster a few times in preparation

Sponsored Links
If its raw plaster then a mist coat of emulsion is all that's needed before coating with finishing coats. If in any doubt as to what may be on the ceiling, then a coat of Zinsser Gardz would be the best option first.

Thanks Robbie - so no undercoat or primer is required (does that mean neither would be required on plaster; be it ceiling or walls. Lastly a " mist coat " would be, what 50/50 mixed with water ?

Can be about 60/40 dilute matt emulsion on ceiling first if its raw unpainted plaster.

Sponsored Links
Again thanks for all your advise. I beast to sure that the plaster is at least been on 30 odd years it would be different to plaster that has probably been completed some 6 months before. I have never heard of " Zinsser Gardz " and wonder if that would be a suitable alternative - or maybe a waste of money if the diluted imultion would be just as adequate - again many thanks Robbie for your time. I have now completed the sugar soap and wash down at least twice before the next chapter Kind regards John

"Gardz" is one of the products in the Zinsser range of sealers. Its no particularly cheap but fantastic on surfaces that have been coated with Distemper, a very old form of emulsion. It causes all sorts of problems when painted over. Also if the surface is very dry and powdery.

Again Robbie looks as though " Question Time " is over for me - very last question It is definitely 60% emulsion to 40% water as a mixture for the wetting/soaking - lastly if you could answer that I would be very greatful Regards John

Doesn't have to be spot on that ratio, but the first coat has to be thin to penetrate the plaster. Its not meant to cover the surface to be solid white. The coats after the mist coat can be un thinned until your happy with how solid it looks.

Just picked up your last piece of advise - many thanks Regards John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back