painting a wall that has just been stripped of wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having spent the last 2 days stripping the 2 layers of wallpaper in my lounge, stairs and landing, I am left with walls which are in reasonably good nick. However i am slightly unsure of my next step.
The walls are to be painted and in patches the coat of paint that was under the paper has flaked off. I have sought advice and seem to get a whole range of answers, Sand it! Skim it! Lining Paper it! etc.
I am not sure what i expect the response to be, but know that i would rather do it myself than pay someone to do it as thats all i seem to have been doing for the past few years!

Cheers

James

Sponsored Links
If you just want to paint the walls, give them a quick sand and then use high grade lining paper. You'll get a nice finish on the walls then and wno't have to worry about flaking. It's not expensive to put lining paper up and if you use thicker stuff (around £4 a roll for the 1400 guage stuff) then it should only need 1 coat of paint.

That's just my unprofessional, personal experience of what we've been up to lately.

If the walls are in good nick, then a sand and paint would do. Either that or try giving them a good wash with sugar soap solution and see how they come up.

I usually line them whenever possible , a light skim either before or after lining to deal with deeper 'scars'.

Ive never in 30 years of trading managed to cover a wall in one coat though , two is the absolute minimum ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back