painting and plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all.
I've started to redecorate my victorian house and specifically the spare room.
Basically I've taken the old paper off the wall and it's taken a bit of the plaster off with it (5cm of the skim at the biggest).
so question 1:
Whats the best way to stabilize the wall, fill the holes and get a smooth finish?
Now what I want to do is either paint or paper the wall, not sure which but there are a few issues with the house. Basically it's on the top of a big, exposed hill and the wall is an external one. consequently it gets quite cold (although not damp as far as I can tell).
which leads me onto question 2:
does the fact that the wall is a cold external wall effect what I should put on it? if I put the wrong stuff on it will I cause condensation issues? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks for your help, I'm a bit new at this whole thing and being my first house I don't really have the money to bring in the pros.

Sponsored Links
Whats the best way to stabilize the wall, fill the holes and get a smooth finish?

A coat of dulux stain block..thinned out by 20%....gyroc easi fil.....80 grade aluminium oxide paper...the green stuff....

does the fact that the wall is a cold external wall effect what I should put on it? if I put the wrong stuff on it will I cause condensation issues?

Dont worry about it....all house have exterior wall....and as you rightly say they are colder.....but it wont affect the paint....as long as its warmish when your painting.

Zampa, SiBett's question was similar to mine below. I've only ever worked with plasterboard walls so am a bit of an amateur with plastered walls. What is gyroc easi fil? Is this a special product different from the commonly available fillers? You mention green sandpaper. Is this different from normal brown stuff? Besides the grit, are there other properties of sandpaper to consider (for example, I hear the term open coat - what is that?).

In my situation, I have removed wallpaper to find lining paper that has been painted with oil based paint and is impermeable to steam. I'm proposing to leave it on the wall, but find that tears and edges of the painted paper tend to lift slightly making it difficult to get a smooth finish with fillers. What would you do in this case? Are there good ways to re-paste the lifting edges and tears?

Sponsored Links
DH05 said:
Zampa, SiBett's question was similar to mine below. I've only ever worked with plasterboard walls so am a bit of an amateur with plastered walls. What is gyroc easi fil? Is this a special product different from the commonly available fillers? You mention green sandpaper. Is this different from normal brown stuff? Besides the grit, are there other properties of sandpaper to consider (for example, I hear the term open coat - what is that?).

In my situation, I have removed wallpaper to find lining paper that has been painted with oil based paint and is impermeable to steam. I'm proposing to leave it on the wall, but find that tears and edges of the painted paper tend to lift slightly making it difficult to get a smooth finish with fillers. What would you do in this case? Are there good ways to re-paste the lifting edges and tears?

In reply to dho5. Easy fill is a type of filler that is easy to use and easy to sand. I would use gyproc sanding pads 120 grade (both available from good decorators merchants i.e brewers or dulux decorators merchants). as inferior sandpapers do an inferior job.

As for the lining paper theres the easy way and of course the hard way. The hard way is to buy a paper tiger again from a good dec merchant (about £8) and really scratch it (you will see what i mean) this punctures the surface of the paper and allows the steam to permiate into the paper.then go back to the steam stripper but be careful as it will find any blowing plaster. as for sticking back edges always wet them and leave to soak for about 10 mins . then use border/overlapping paste to stick it back. you can then fill with easy fill and paint. But i would try to get all the paper of and start again but as i said its the hard way. good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back