Painting Artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

House is approx 10 years old and the ceilings are covered with a thin Artex type coating which is quite soft to the touch. The ceilings appear to have been painted before (as the lazy bug*ers painted around the light fittings) but after trying to paint the hall with emulsion paint I got up to find that the Artex had come away from the plasterboard in several places.

A friend of mine told me it probably needed sealing so I did this with a 5:1 PVA mix but the same thing has happened.

any ideas how I can solve this..

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the problem is between the artex and the plasterboard...maybe it wasnt sealed, the quality of some of the work on new houses is abysmal...not always because of the contractors, its normally down to ridiculous time scales and prices.

You might need to start thinking about taking the artez off...as it hasnt been painted it should wash of fairly easily.

Or you could try painting the ceiling with a thin coat of emulsion first...then a full coat...only problem being is if the rest of the artex starts to lift it will be harder to remove...

Personally I dont think sealing it with do any good because it sounds like al the action is between the artex and the plasterboard.

Thanks mate, will probably go down the removal road as I hate it anyway and this has just given me the excuse to remove it.

It is a very thin pattern and quite crumbly to the touch and upon closer inspection looks like it has been done in the same stuff as the compound used to joint the plasterboard.

Have read several posts around artex and asbestos. house was built 1997/98 by Wimpey. Anyone know the likely hood of this containing asbestos.

Sponsored Links
Youl be fine..i think they stopped adidng it back in the eighties....but wear a mask anyway just to help prevent the airbourne dust getitng down you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back