Painting bare metal brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for advice on the cheapest method of painting two steel hanging basket brackets which have not been painted before and are just bare metal.

I know you are supposed to use a primer etc, but I want the quickest and cheapest method. eg a one-coat metal paint if there is such a thing.

The brackets will not be exposed to the elements, so any cheap paint will do.

Sponsored Links
hammerite - not very cheap mind. Shame really I've got a tunused tin of it at home.

rust will grow under hammerite.

If you want to use them outdoors, use a metal preservative primer first, then preferably an undercoat and gloss, but a one-coat on top of the primer if you want to cut corners.

You can't use primer under hammerite.

Thanks for the prompt replies. Much appreciated!

"If you want to use them outdoors"

The brackets will be outside the door of my flat, the entrance to which is totally enclosed.

Sponsored Links
thought hammerite was self-priming, you can even paint it onto rust no ?

rust can only thrive if the metal has access to either oxygen or water. keep the metal air and watertight and the rust can't 'grow'.

yes, you can paint Hammerite onto rust and it gives a nice glossy finish that makes you think it's working well. However it does not stop rust growing under the paint. This was one of the findings of an AA test I read some time ago. Surprisingly they found the best protection was from good old red oxide primer.

On rusty cars there is often rust on both sides of the metal, including the side you can't get to, and seams or welds that you can't seal perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back