Painting beach hut - wrinkly paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just finished painting the first coat of gloss on the new beach hut. The surface had been previously primed and undercoated. The results are disappointing to say the least. There are large patches of wrinkled paint which two weeks later can be smoothed flat with your finger - showing that the paint below as not dried.

My initial guess was that it was too hot when painted. Althought looking around the web there is some suggestion that salty environments can cause this effect.

I need to try and sort this out before the final coat. I would imagine sanding will be of limited use as there is still wet paint below the wrinkled surface.

What is the best way of tackling this?

HELP!

Sponsored Links
What paint did you use? if oil based did you make sure undercoat was dry properly first.. as this sounds a classic case of the undercoat skinning over, giving false impression that undercoat is dry, (seaside wind is notorious for this)the gloss coat then dries quicker over the undercoat which is still too flexible resulting in different drying /wrinkles.

But you say 2 weeks later still abble to make a fingerprint?? This could be that gloss was put on too thick? will take 30 days to fully cure.. then rub down and redo.. sorry.. Im sure others will be along to add to this.. ;)

I was going to suggest using Botox, but maybe not on this type of wrinkle. :confused: Sorry Sam, I know it's not funny but, :)

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
What paint did you use? if oil based did you make sure undercoat was dry properly first.. as this sounds a classic case of the undercoat skinning over, giving false impression that undercoat is dry, (seaside wind is notorious for this)the gloss coat then dries quicker over the undercoat which is still too flexible resulting in different drying /wrinkles.

But you say 2 weeks later still abble to make a fingerprint?? This could be that gloss was put on too thick? will take 30 days to fully cure.. then rub down and redo.. sorry.. Im sure others will be along to add to this.. ;)

Hi guys,

Yeah that sounds about right. What you have here is a case of solvent entrapment in the film. You'll need sand the wrinkles out (not an easy operation in oil based finishes), leave for a few days to ensure that all solvents have evaporated, and then re-coat. If you want to apply a top coat to it sooner then try using an exterior grade waterbased paint from a professional woodfinish supplier - this will improve the performance of the paint film as well as being quite a bit more forgiving than a DIY turps/white spirit based system.

It should be fine after that. Good luck!

There was a few days between undercoat and top coat - but I guess the uncercoat may not have gone off fully.

The wrinkled patches are still pliable. It is better to take a scrapper to these now - or wait the 30 days mentioned above and try and sand them away. If I sand them now I will just get very clogged up sandpaper.

Yeah well you could scrape the heavy wrinkles off.. Maybe give you a clue then to see if undercoat is wet(?). My guess here is the paint was too thick.. did you thin it a little ? After scraping let the scraped area's dry. if you paint ontop of the exposed wet paint this will cess up. and yuk.. The same goes for sanding on fresh gloss, dont sand if possible, or only to de nib. as paint isnt cured.
Personally I like to give two slightly thinned gloss coats allow overnight drying between.

good luck

I think I will go for scraping the worst of the wrinkled paint of and letting it dry for a week or two underneath. Then the whole thing should have dried properly and and I can give it a decent sand and a proper top coat

I am using a trade gloss from Wickes. It says on the tin not to thin it - if I did would it make things better and what would I thin it with?

Right I have had a go at scapping the wrinkled patches - they are far more extensive than I first imagined. In some places the layer of paint will just scrape away. In others is it more stubborn but not fully dry.

I am inclined to wait until; it dries and then just thoroughly sand it. The question is........will it ever dry?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back