Painting cast iron gutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be painting a cast iron gutter and do the facias at the same time. All in black.

I will do the normal sanding, will repair any rotten wood on the facia and will renew the seals on the cast gutter.

I am just not sure what is the best way to paint the gutters.

Do i need a primer after the sanding ?

Would you use a metal paint or is standard gloss ok. I was thinking of using the same paint as on the fascia.

Do you paint the inside of the gutter ?

Sponsored Links
Do I undercoat all the gutter where the current paint is good and has just needed sanding, or just the bits which have gone back to bare metal?

Scrape off all loose paint. Sand entire previously painted surface.

A rust killing primer on all the bare metal and rusty areas. Wouldn't hurt to put two or three coats of this on these areas, time permitting.

Undercoat the whole of the guttering. Use a second undercoat if the area looks patchy, and you have time.

Top the whole of the gutting.

NOTE, as Bosswhite says, paint the inside of gutters too in bitumastic paint.

Back in the day, it was also common to mix up any old leftover (oil-based) paint and use that for the inside.

Sponsored Links
Scrape off all loose paint. Sand entire previously painted surface.

A rust killing primer on all the bare metal and rusty areas. Wouldn't hurt to put two or three coats of this on these areas, time permitting.

Undercoat the whole of the guttering. Use a second undercoat if the area looks patchy, and you have time.

Top the whole of the gutting.

NOTE, as Bosswhite says, paint the inside of gutters too in bitumastic paint.

Back in the day, it was also common to mix up any old leftover (oil-based) paint and use that for the inside.

Ahhh.. that explains why I have come across so many soil pipes over the years that have cracks in the thick paint. Presumably some used the bitumous paint and then someone else glossed over it later on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back