Painting 'ceiling' in cellar (joists and floorboards)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question which might be a little daft - but I can't find a clear answer.
I'm just making the cellar a bit more presentable in an 1890's end terrace which is slightly damp. What I'm wondering is if I would be able to gloss the exposed woodwork i.e. the joists and undersides of the floorboards above. I'm concerned that if I do I'll create problems with the wood around airflow/breathabilty, potentially opening the doors for rot or other problems. Any advice? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I like white masonry paint for these dirty areas, it is water-based to easy to put on without fumes, and you can wash it when dirty.

as far as I can see you will be painting the undersides, but the tops will still be open to the air.

put in enough airbricks to get a good airflow from end to end, it will keep the humidity down

I like white masonry paint for these dirty areas, it is water-based to easy to put on without fumes, and you can wash it when dirty.

as far as I can see you will be painting the undersides, but the tops will still be open to the air.

put in enough airbricks to get a good airflow from end to end, it will keep the humidity down

Never that simple though is it!
The entire 'top' is laminated so theres no airflow that way. The cellar is not particularly well ventilated either. Originally there was a window to the front (now under several foot of garden) so theres only actually one airbrick around the whole base of the house. That opens into a bricked off portion of the cellar, and I can't even be sure if it 'vents' above surface level internally.
I've added a vent in the porch which runs the length of the doorway, but that only provides airflow when the exterior door is open. I can't really put any more in because the only other wall is below the ground level outside and that's solid concrete. I could but in Z blocks but its a step further than I want to go.
Anyhoo - back to the painting. If I'm causing problems with the wood 'breathing' with gloss, would a limewash be a better option?

if you have a cellar, and it is damp, and has no effective throughflow ventilation, I honestly think that your choice of paint is the last thing you should be worried about.

Sponsored Links
if you have a cellar, and it is damp, and has no effective throughflow ventilation, I honestly think that your choice of paint is the last thing you should be worried about.

I know that 'throughflow' is a kind of mecca for all cellar owners, and I can understand the thinking, but I must say that the construction of my house has never really allowed for it - it's not a case of modern life having destroyed the original plans. Even were the window still as originally planned, air could not travel left to right, north to south or what-have-you. The front of the house has a cellar (living room/hallway), the rear is solid construction (concrete floors to dining room/kitchen). The left of the house butts up to the neighbours, the right of the cellar is a structurally load bearing wall. To the other side of it is, I believe, clay probably a foot away from the living room joists.
That being said, it's lasted the best part of 120 years, 11 of which I've been in without seeing any problems develop.
My main concern is doing something which will change the balance that appears to exist - if I gloss, do I trap moisture and risk rot? If I don't do anything, there's no point having a fridge/tumble dryer in there because nobody will venture in for fear of the things which live in the dark bits.
At the moment, I'm leaning towards lime-based solutions because of a fear of creating a rot problem.

The entire 'top' is laminated so theres no airflow that way...... Originally there was a window to the front...

......I know that 'throughflow' is a kind of mecca for all cellar owners, and I can understand the thinking...........

......a fear of creating a rot problem.
that's fine. You know the cellar is damp, you know what should be done, you don't want to do it.

'Bye

No, I'm just attempting to do things in a roundabout way.
By tidying up the cellar, I intend to install a tumble dryer which will 1) remove a major source of condensation from the house and 2) create a four inch vent which, when not in use, will provide an extra air inlet to the cellar. That's subject to finding a suitable spot because, as I've said before, the cellar space isn't particlarly accessible.

The damp/airflow situation is something I'm dealing with in other ways (a dehumidifyer being one); this was more a query about the decorating side of things because I don't want to make problems where they don't currently exist.

if you're going to core-drill for the drier vent, make a few more holes while you hire it, preferably on other sides

most people leave the drier hose connected to its vent all the time

if the cellar is only partially excavated (this is not unusual) you can take up some boards in the room above the unexcavated part for access, or crawl though

there is probably a disused chute for an old coal-hole as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back