Painting Ceiling - Tips needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just for my knowledge, are there any guidelines how to apply ceiling paint using roller with respect to main window as light from window shows patches ?

Should I paint paralel to window and against the light?

Sorry for silly questions, I'm first second time painting in my life and have never painted any ceiling.

Thanks for all help.

Sponsored Links
There are no hard and fast rules. Given that you need to maintain a "wet edge" whilst rolling it matters not where you start, from a lighting perspective.

You may however need to thin the paint slightly or add floetrol to maintain the wet edge.

I use extension poles to enable me to apply the paint as quickly as possible. If you do it right and have a long enough pole you can do the whole ceiling without any paint splatter on yourself.

First you need to prepare the room and surface. Get the good quality paint and make sure to clean the surface of the ceiling before painting it again. Start painting from the corners of the wall, from the intersection point. As these perpendicular sites, are often unreachable even with the best size rollers. So first, paint these corners with the help of small brushes, not leaving even a tiny spot. While painting the ceilings allow the paints to dry up first before putting another layer on it. Do not wear good clothes while painting and cover your head with a bandana.

Sponsored Links
Work in sections about 1 metre wide, always going in the same direction and parallel to the shortest walls (to minimise the length of the wet edge).

So do one strip widthways across the room, then go back and do the next strip to it, and so on. Load your roller evenly and roll backwards and forwards parallel to the shorter walls, not randomly all over the place.

You may find that a sheepskin roller gives you a better finish. A bit more expensive (£10 or so), but worth it, imo. Those cheapo ones from B & Q etc are rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back